Job description / Role
• This position is key to the organization and involves working as the sole head who lead a close knit team of technicians to keep the vessels within the organization working efficiently.
• Coordinate technical assistance, specialists and subcontractors as necessary to reduce the unplanned maintenance and conduct planned repairs.
• In contact 24/7 with the vessel in case of any major breakdown, attending the vessel during charter when necessary to give technical support.
• Order and replace necessary parts for diesel engines, gear boxes and other equipments fitted on board, testing and approving the performance of the repaired equipments.
• Arrangements and preparation of the vessels for dry docks and major repairs including engines, generators, auxiliaries, hull preparation, shafts & propellers, etc
• Oversee the operation of the vessels, ensuring that they are operated safely, economically and efficiently and maintained to a standard that allows them to fulfil operational requirements of either the organization or charter parties and/or other commercial contracts.
• The success of the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), will be the responsibility of the Technical Manager, ensure that it is accurate and up-to date, and will conduct analysis of completed jobs and conditions of class.
• Ensure planned maintenance is applied, monitor vessels spares requisitions and consumption, and stocks on board.
• Inspect “new” vessels / possible candidates for charter or purchase. Checks and maintain the planned maintenance system on board of the vessels.
• Ensure that vessels are all class certified with valid and robust insurance coverage for Hull, Machinery and P& I Supervise dock and repair activities.
• Promote a safe working environment, through Hazard Protection Programs (HPP) and Job Safety Analysis programs.
• Ensure all programs are developed and functioning in the Marine Safety culture, and will take the lead in the investigation of all technical incidents.
• Ensure the safety and pollution regulations are applied and followed onshore and onboard vessels, ensure safe working is carried out.
• Budgetary responsibility which includes the preparation of budgets in accordance with the organizations requirement and monitoring of agreed budgets set.
• Oversee and manage refits and planned work projects, ensuring that essential refit, maintenance and survey work is included in specifications and project plans, and associated expenditures remain within budget.
• Prepares quotations regarding repairs and dockings and select the shipyards for quotation.
• Develops and maintains outside vendor and service provider relationships, which may require an associate's degree.
• Ensure that purchases for the Department are made in compliance with the procurement policy
• Be a part of the vessel fuel management committee, which deals with the lifecycle of fuel from procurement to the final combustion of fuel in the vessels.
• As a member of the Operations Leadership Team, is responsible for workforce planning, training as well as monitors their performance to ensure that the Operations Division not only has sufficient staffing to successfully meet operational requirements, but also has the right people in the right places.
• In charge of shore maintenance team including superintendents, supervisors, mechanics, electrician, fabricators, provide coaching and mentoring role to employees to assist in their career development.
• Conduct performance evaluations and accountability agreements are completed at all levels of the department
• Carry on technical interviews for all technical crew, electrical officers prior to hiring them, ensure there qualifications are current and relevant.
• Participate as an integral member of the Emergency Response Team and provide technical input into all Emergency situations.
• Assisting as necessary in any and all of the foregoing procedures for vessels not specifically allocated to them.
• Maintain a record of all contractors and sub-contractors which are used, create a documentation system for the fleet to ensure a high level of record clarity.
• Prepares reports for scheduled dockings for the running year.
• Prepare and review monthly variance reports
• Coordinate with the class authority, flag state and port state authorities for the required surveys.
• Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility, capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments.
• Assist in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as required.
• Visit regularly company's fleet in situ onshore & offshore.
• Accomplish Technical department and organization mission by completing related results and assignments as needed
• Marine School Diploma or Technical College Certificate or a combination of equivalent education, job-related training and experience in a related position
• PMP certification (or) Lean (or) Six Sigma training will be advantage.
• Completion of a 4-year Technical Apprenticeship, or a Certificate of competency (COC).
• Minimum 15 years of a comprehensive technical experience as follows:
• 8 years’ experience in the rank of Chief Engineer onboard ships preferably ably on tug boats.
• 4 years’ of relevant conversion or a new build experience in marine/ offshore industry /shore-based technical management.
• Minimum 3 years in positions of managerial responsibilities.
• Internal auditing experience
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Microsoft Project, Auto Cad
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Microsoft Project, Auto Cad
• Possess advance working knowledge in technical, financial and project management activities (i.e. equipment installation, operation, maintenance, repair calibration and automation).
• Extensive knowledge and experience in relevant marine and offshore legislations, inspection standards, class rules requirements and industry codes
• Excellent communication and influencing skills at all levels of the organization.
• Ability to manage Profit &Loss and generate annual budget plans
• Ability to drive energy and resilience to make a step change in the performance of the business
• Decisiveness and judgement
• Strong commercial acumen and understanding of customer impacts.
• Customer focus & Leadership skills including effective time management and prioritization skills
• Positive and solution focused attitude with a clear goal based approach to problem solving.
• Strong negotiation, analytical and problem solving skills
• Ability to influence and lead teams operating in remote locations without the need to maintain a continuous presence.
• Ability to represent the Company and build relationships with regional management teams and develop solutions to their satisfaction
• Sound report writing skills
About the Company
A Marine Organization for providing reliable integrated marine services to the Oil and Gas Industry based in Dubai is looking to recruit.
Senior Superintendent Engineer
A Leading Shipping Company In Fujairah
Manager / Team Leader - Port / Maritime Strategy
NSI & Bluefin Talent
Port Operations Supervisor
The Kanoo Group
Move Up Consultancy
Crewing Officer / Crewing Assistant / Crewing Coordinator
A Marine Organization Based In Dubai