Job description / Role
A unique opportunity has arisen to become part of the University of Birmingham and to join our mission to deliver a world class British university education in the global city and international hub of Dubai.
In September 2018 the University of Birmingham launches in Dubai and we are seeking to appoint Teaching Fellows to teach our Foundation year modules for integrated undergraduate degrees in Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering. These roles will be based in Dubai.
Contributing to the teaching and administration associated with the Foundation year, we are looking for tutors to teach modules in Mathematics and Computer Science. Led by the Foundation Year Director of Engineering and Physical Sciences, the post holder will work alongside English Language Tutors (Teaching Academic English and Study Skills) to ensure students successfully complete their programme and are prepared for undergraduate study. Specifically:
• Teaching within own subject area within an established teaching programme (under the supervision from an academic member of staff)
• Contribute to the enhancement of the student experience or employability;
• Contribute to deliver CPD programmes, consulting on own specialism and the like, often under the supervision of a project leader.
• Teach courses at a range of levels within specified subject area and within own area of subject specialism to undergraduates, postgraduates and CPD students, predominantly through allocated lectures and seminars, so that the School’s teaching objectives are met.
• Contribute to the design of modules with other colleagues.
• Plan and prepare own teaching, including guidance notes and handouts in accordance with the established objectives of the teaching programme.
• Devise and supervise projects, student dissertations and practical work.
• Develop an approach to planning and reviewing own teaching.
• Undertake full range of responsibilities in relation to supervision, marking and examining. (Summative assessment, including assessed work contributing to the final award – as a mark or as a credit – such as unseen examinations, essays, dissertations or presentations, is subject to validation by the academic supervisor.)
• Frequently update own subject expertise.
• Undertake personal professional development in teaching, including self-reflection on own teaching, using student and peer review feedback, to enhance own teaching and learning processes.
• Contribute to knowledge transfer on own specialism that is of manifest benefit to the College and the University, often under supervision of a project leader.
• Undertake management/administration arising from teaching.
• Contribute to Public engagement, outreach and recruitment
• Contribute to enterprise, business development and/or public engagement activities of manifest benefit to the College and the University, often under supervision of a project leader.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
• Higher degree relevant to teaching area or equivalent qualifications in Applied Mathematics, Engineering or Computer Science
• High level analytical capability
• Ability to design and deliver module materials successfully
• Ability to assess and organize resources effectively
• Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
About the Company
The University of Birmingham Dubai offers a unique opportunity for innovative and creative Academics and Professional Service Staff to be involved in building a sector leading teaching and research environment that is synonymous with a truly global and forward thinking University.
Already recognised as one of the world's top 100 universities across the globe, this latest phase in the University of Birmingham’s global expansion builds on the University’s international teaching activities in Singapore and China, and its extensive international research collaborations.
Over the next twelve months, then expanding thereafter, we will be looking for new staff to join our already talented and committed Academic and Professional Services staff in ensuring that our campus in Dubai is open and ready for a new intake of students by September 2018. A number of new opportunities will become available in the areas detailed below.
Our ambition is to grow the University of Birmingham Dubai to around 4,500 students studying on a full range of programmes; and to establish an active programme of research.