Job description / Role
Observation and Inspection
- A mechanical technician is responsible for inspecting the equipment and machineries to ensure they are running properly.
- This is done periodically under the preventive maintenance program.
- The mechanical technician observes the equipment and machineries as they are operating and listens for any unusual noises.
- This observation allows the mechanical technician to locate the problem area and investigate the faulty or malfunctioning part of the equipment and machineries.
- The mechanical technician checks fluid levels, movable components, and electrical devices to make sure they are operating properly and makes sure that there is no forced deterioration on the equipment and machineries.
- Mechanical Technician is responsible for ensuring elimination of all safety risks and/or reduce the risk to an acceptable level before any interventions to the working mechanisms on the Line of equipment and process equipment.
- Any planned modification to machinery must first be risk assessed by a SHE supervisor to ensure that the planned changes do not compromise existing machinery health & safety standards.
- Mechanical Technician is responsible for Producing a safe system of work for using and maintaining the machine.
- Mechanical Technician is responsible for understanding and applying of:
• S304-Functional SHE Standard - Machinery Safety
• G304-01 Guidance on Machinery Safety
• G304-02 Guidance on Palletizer Safety
• G304-03 Guidance on Process Equipment Safety
• G304-04 Guidance on Packaging Machinery Safety
• G304-05 Guidance on Lock Out and Tag Out
Where The standard specifies in its contents:
- General Requirements for the Safe Operation of Machinery
- Risk Assessment for Machinery
- Machinery and Area Guarding
- Energy and Machinery Isolation - Safe State Isolation
- Specific Safety Requirements for Palletizers
- The Upgrading of Existing Machinery
- One of the main duties of a mechanical technician is to make necessary repairs to equipment and machinery.
- This involves replacing defective parts, upgrading machine operations or replacing wearable components that must be replaced on a periodic basis, such as, bearings, belts of a conveyor, fixtures cutting tools on machines and sealing of the pumps on process equipment.
- One part of the repair duties is to make emergency repairs when a machine breaks down during operation.
- The mechanical technician troubleshoots the machine to determine what repairs are necessary and procures the required parts to make the repairs.
- All aspects of Mechanical Maintenance including but not limited to hydraulic and pneumatic fault finding and repair, equipment overhaul and assembly, post apprenticeship machine shop experience (turning & milling), pipe fitting and welding.
- Maintain, repair and service all of Unilever Company's handling equipment
- Assist other fitters, electricians and operational personnel in the maintenance, repair and servicing of equipment
- Ensure equipment being worked on and the work area is kept clean and free from obstacles at all times except for necessary tools
- Ensure Unilever Company vehicles, plant and machinery are functioning within acceptable safety and operational standards
- Ensure all mechanical repair and maintenance work undertaken is carried out safely and in accordance with the Unilever Company's procedures and policies
- Mechanical Technician is responsible for ensuring maximum availability of production plant across the Sourcing Unit utilizing excellent technical skills for improvements and modifications and sound application of WCM methodology.
- All actions must contribute to the delivery of operational KPIs (Productivity, Quality, Safety, Health and Environment, Cost, Delivery, Morale and Innovation (PQSCDMI)).
- Mechanical technician is responsible for ensuring that the products and process reliability in place with the application of SOPs (Standard operational procedures) and work instructions in the QMS (Quality Management System - Quality Standards).
- Mechanical technician is responsible from GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) applications for the Hygienic requirements of the products and process reliability during maintenance works.
- Mechanical technician must be a mentally agile and advanced problem solver who is able to maximize machinery operations whilst minimizing waste.
- Mechanical technician must be able to coach and develop the Machine Operator's and Technical Operator's core technical awareness and skills.
- Even though a mechanical technician is not an electrician, he must have knowledge of the electrical devices found in machinery in order to properly make repairs.
- This means a mechanical technician must know how to utilize an electrical testing machine, such as a voltmeter or PLC.
- These electrical tools test voltage and amps and assist in determining where an electrical problem can be located in the machinery.
- A mechanical technician replaces defective electrical components in the same manner they would replace defective mechanical components.
Stock and Inventory Duties
- Mechanical technician is responsible from Spare Parts Management system applications
- It is the responsibility of the mechanical technician to inventory and order the most commonly used mechanical components.
- Once a part is taken from inventory to be used on a repair project, the mechanical technician notifies the supply department in order for that part to be restocked.
- This stocking and inventory duty is required to ensure minimal downtime when equipment or machinery needs repair.
- General stock items include necessary machine fluids, wearable components, cutting blades or dies along with any other component that is replaced frequently
- Mechanical technician also need to have knowledge of computers and electronics, engineering and technology, design, production and processing, public safety and security, and knowledge of the English language.
About the Company
Unilever is one of the leading FMCG company with 400 brands spanning 14 categories of home, personal care and foods products, no other company touches so many people's lives in so many different ways.
Our brand portfolio has made us leaders in every field in which we work. It ranges from much-loved world favourites including Lipton, Knorr, Dove and Omo, to trusted local brands such as Blue Band and Suave.
From comforting soups to warm a winter's day, to sensuous soaps that make you feel fabulous, our products help people get more out of life.
We're constantly enhancing our brands to deliver more intense, rewarding product experiences. We invest €1 billion every year in cutting edge research and development, and have five laboratories around the world that explore new thinking and techniques to help develop our products.
Mechanical Technician - Short Term
|Abu Dhabi||28 Sep|
Suez Middle East Water Services - Degremont
Manpower Middle East
|Abu Dhabi||14 Oct|
Civil / Mechanical / Electrical - Building Construction / QS Engineer
Mechanical Engineer I
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
|Al Ain||13 Dec|