Job description / Role
- Appropriate planning for breeding and supplying the various laboratory animals (Rats, Mice, Guinea Pigs, Rabbits etc.) to fulfil the research needs.
- Responsible for human care and welfare of the laboratory animals.
- Prepare the animals as requested by the researchers according to the species, Sex, weight and age.
- Arranging the different species of animals for mating and checking the plug positive on the following day for different research use.
- Should have good knowledge in animal's treatment, different routes blood and tissue collection.
- Monitor the activities and the experimental procedures done on the animals by the researchers and report any inhumane or unethical procedures to the animal facility controller (AFC).
- Maintain the various research animals with proper labelling.
- Monitor and control the population of the animal colonies according to assigned space.
- Weaning of the breeding stock for all the different research animals from the breeding cage litters.
- Recognize animal behavior and symptoms that indicate an illness or accident and report to the (AFC).
- Monitor the macro- & micro-environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, ventilation and lighting) in the animal rooms and in the separate cages of the animals and report to the AFC in case of any variations.
- Maintain the sanitation standards for animal rooms, pens and cages.
- Operate autoclaving equipment to sterile cages, lids, bottles and bedding and water.
- Ensure enough clean cages with fresh bedding for the daily use.
- Transfer animals with a proper handling from dirty cages to the clean cages.
- Make sure the supporting company staff dispose animal waste safely.
- Receives and looks after new animals' wellbeing when they arrive from abroad to the facility and keep them into the quarantine area.
- In advance, ensure that animal feed, fresh bedding and cleaning detergents are available in sufficient amount for the daily usage.
- Record and report the daily usage of animals by the researchers, and the weekly breeding programs to the AFC
- Record any deaths and dispose the carcasses according to the health protocols.
- B.Sc. /M.Sc. with Appropriate experience as above
- Proper animal handling skills - minimum 3 years
- Knowledge in Laboratory techniques
- Knowledge in Hematology, Serology and Microbiology
- Knowledge of animal anatomy
- Computer literacy with office packages
- Communication skills
- Proficiency in English
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.