Job description / Role
Medical Research Spec. I (laboratory-based) in the Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine and Health Sciences-UAEU - employed as full-time staff member participating in clinical and translational research, with occasional teaching and administrative activities if required by the Chair of the department.
The work involves executing daily laboratory operations, including viral and tissue cultures, plaque assay, real-time PCR, animal care (e.g., viral inoculation, blood sampling, breeding, etc.) and analytical measurements (e.g., HPLC, immune assay methods, automated DNA sequencing, gel electrophoresis, DNA extraction, Western Blot, etc.). The tasks also include preparing laboratory solutions, reagents, cultures, and biological samples.
• Design, set up, and conduct experiments, tests, and other scientific procedures without supervision; prepare compounds or chemicals needed; collect and collate data from procedures.
• Analyze data from scientific procedures; collate data into publishable form; perform calculations; create graphic displays of data analysis.
• Enter data into computerized system; maintain and update files and databases.
• Supervise students/junior technicians in laboratory techniques; monitor lab usage to ensure safe and efficient use of facilities.
• Monitor and maintain physical condition of laboratory.
• Maintain inventory of supplies, order as necessary.
• Maintain lab equipment; perform minor repairs.
• Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
• DNA and RNA separations
• Performing Enzyme-Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay (ELISA) and Radio Immuno Assays (RIA).
• Protein isolation, purification and characterization
• FISH, flow cytometry, tissue culture
• Generation of database.
• Literature review for the preparation of research grant applications, presentations and manuscripts
• Tracking project data and reporting analysis results
• Excellent ability to analyze and scrutinize data, produce tables and figures
• Some experience with data analysis and presentation (e.g., SPSS, Excel)
• Quality control and periodic maintenance of the equipment
• Waste disposal - biological, spent solvents and radioactive waste generated in the faculty
• Procurement of chemicals and other materials for the research projects from different suppliers
• Applicant should minimally have a master's degree from an accredited college/university in a field related to biomedical research (e.g., virology or molecular biology or immunology) or four (4) years equivalent experience in the appropriate field in lieu of degree.
• In addition to educational requirements, a minimum of two (2) years of related biomedical research experience (e.g., virology or molecular biology or immunology) is needed.
• Higher degree (PhD) is desirable
• Proficient in immunology/microbiology and molecular biology techniques.
• Excellent attention to detail, organizational skills as well as a meticulous approach to laboratory experimentation is critical to this position
• Experience of flow cytometry, ELISA, cell culture, RT-PCR, HPLC, animal experiments and handling are required.
• Knowledge of advanced principles, and procedures of molecular biology and immunology laboratory tests and analyses.
• Knowledge of safe laboratory practices.
• Knowledge of laboratory equipment operation and terminology.
• Knowledge of computer and word processing/database/spreadsheet software.
• Organization and time management skills.
• Strong written and communication skills.
• Maintain accurate records regarding events, outcomes, and the associated data.
• Perform complex mathematical and statistical computation and analysis. Exercise independent judgment.
• Introduce/develop new technologies/laboratory methods.
• Troubleshoot complex experimental problems.
• Assist and train junior laboratory staff.
• Evidence of leadership/management quality.
• Assist with intramural and extramural applications for program funding.
• Work independently and as a member of a team.
• Able to move around and between several laboratory areas.
• Able to work in a Biological Safety Cabinet for handling of infectious agents and performance of various assays and techniques.
• Fine motor coordination in manipulation of laboratory materials and attention to detail is essential.
• Able to sit for lengthy
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.
Lab Technician - Molecular Biology
Medical Laboratory Technician
|Abu Dhabi||9 Mar|
Senior Laboratory Technician
|Abu Dhabi||9 Mar|
NGS Molecular Biology Technologist
Medical Research Specialist I
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
|Al Ain||27 Jan|