Job description / Role
Medical Research Specialist 1 (MRS) College of Medicine and Health Sciences-UAEU - employed as full-time staff member participating in research, teaching, and administrative activities.
- Be involved with the day-to-day running of the research laboratory, training of graduate and undergraduate students. Be instrumental in research projects, data collection, data management, grant management, and the preparation of initial manuscripts, grants, and other outputs, contributing significantly to the university's research output.
- Carry out administrative and management work associated with laboratory organization and functioning and research, grants, and publications.
- Conduct and execute various research experiments.
- Perform necessary data analysis, including the statistical analysis, and be involved in interpretation and communication of main results and their preparation for publication and future research grants.
- Organize, carry out and assist in teaching Physiology practicals for undergraduate medical students, including experimental laboratory and computer-based learning sessions.
- Create and improve production workflows and processes where appropriate.
- Be responsible for the technical development, maintenance, and troubleshooting of all laboratory equipment.
- Carry out administrative work associated with laboratory research, like laboratory equipment maintenance and consumables inventories, ordering, and procurement of laboratory supplies and consumables, etc.
- Ensure that safe laboratory practices are followed.
Specific Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Independently conduct experiments involving the development of various animal models, including pain and inflammatory bowel diseases models.
- Conduct behavioral and other in-vivo and in-vitro tests related to developed animal models.
- Conduct experiments involving mammalian cell isolation and primary cell culture.
- Conduct and provide oversight and troubleshooting in basic and applied molecular biology that includes, but is not limited to, PCR, RNA preparation/extraction and gel electrophoresis, immunocytochemistry, ELISA, etc.
- Assist in surgical and other techniques related to setting up various experimental models.
- The MRS will directly report to PIs responsible for research projects and to the Chair of the Department.
- Supervise undergraduate medical students performing Physiology practical and computer-based learning sessions. - Assist in training and supervising graduate and undergraduate students on specific laboratory techniques relevant to their projects.
- Train and supervise other research staff recruited on grants, graduate and undergraduate students
B.Sc. and Ph.D. degree in medicine or biomedical sciences.
Preferred Qualification As above
- At least 3-4 years in an academic or research institution setting with a demonstrated publication record in high-impact journals (i.e., Q1).
- Experience with immunofluorescence, microscopy, and imaging.
- Experience in various gastrointestinal physiology in-vitro techniques, including electrophysiology-related research areas.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including critical and analytical thinking.
- Excellent communication and project management skills.
- Ability to independently design and execute experiments, interpret data, and identify appropriate follow-up strategies.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Senior Laboratory Technician
|Abu Dhabi||29 Jul|
Research Assistant - Grant
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
|Al Ain||20 May|
Laboratory - (General Medical Technologist) with CAP Experience
Ain Al Khaleej Hospital
|Al Ain||19 May|
Black Pearl Consult