Job description / Role
- This is complex technical work performing a variety of tasks related to executing and overseeing the daily operations of the laboratory.
- Conduct original research in genetics and genomics
- Run departmental central facilities including the Sanger genetic analyzer and RT-PCR machines for DNA sequencing and genotyping
- Perform optimization and validation tests
- Perform quality control checks of data and reagents
- Maintain a record of the laboratory stock of reagents and consumables
- Maintain the laboratory DNA stocks, constructs and cell lines
- Perform general laboratory maintenance duties
- Place purchasing and services orders and communicate with vendors and service providers
- Maintain a timely and accurate laboratory records (electronic and written)
- Help with preparing data for presentations, publications and research proposals
- Support in training of undergraduate and postgraduate research students
- Prepare and assist in the running of laboratory practicals
- Invigilate in examinations and other assessment activities at the college and department as required
- Communicate effectively to supervisor and team members
- Any other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor
- Minimum of an MSc degree in biomedical, biological sciences or related discipline
- 3-5 years of research experience in at least two of the following areas: genetics, genomics, bioinformatics, cell biology or biochemistry
- Experience in writing research reports and communicating scientific information including oral presentations
- Expert knowledge in the structure and organization of DNA and genomes
- Excellent practical and theoretical knowledge in cell culture
- The position involves both performing complex technical work and overseeing the daily operations of the research laboratory and therefore excellent communication and organizational skills is a must
- Ability to multitask and to work on multiple research projects simultaneously
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.