Job description / Role
• This is complex technical work performing a variety of tasks related to executing and overseeing the daily operations of the laboratory.
• Prepare and complete SNP genotyping assays including, but not limited to, Illumina assays and workflows.
• Prepare samples for targeted capture of specific regions of DNA for sequencing experiments.
• This includes library preparation and capture techniques.
• Prepare and complete Next-Gen sequencing assays including, but not limited to, Illumina HiSeq workflows.
• Perform quality control checks of data
• Set up polymerase chain reactions; trouble-shoot such reactions.
• Perform validation tests of lab reagents.
• Collect, organize, interpret and submit experimental data to database and supervisors.
• Maintain timely and accurate laboratory records (electronic and written).
• Perform general lab maintenance duties.
• Determine concentration and volume of DNA samples using various instruments.
• Maintain and monitor inventory of all in-house DNA samples and reagent supplies.
• Communicate effectively to supervisor and team members.
• Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent in biological sciences
• 2 + years of relevant experience
• Master degree is preferred
• Knowledge of advanced principles, practices, and procedures of laboratory testing and analysis.
• Knowledge of safe laboratory practices.
• Knowledge of laboratory equipment operation and terminology.
• Knowledge of computer and word processing/database/spreadsheet software.
• Good organization and time management skills.
• Good oral and written communication and training skills.
• Ability to maintain accurate records regarding events, outcomes, and the associated data.
• Ability to perform complex mathematical and statistical computation and analysis
• Ability to exercise independent judgement.
• Ability to introduce/develop new technologies/laboratory methods.
• Ability to troubleshoot complex experimental problems
• Evidence of leadership/management quality
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.