Postdoctoral Fellow/Research Associate in Data Analysis for Medicine
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
Al Ain, UAE
Job description / Role
Abu Dhabi Precision Medicine Virtual Research Institute (AD PM VRI) at the College of Medicine and Health Sciences of the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU is announcing a position of research assistant in the field of data analysis of medical data and images. The overall goal of the research is to look for an association between organs' functional and structural changes in physiological conditions (e.g., normal aging) and in pathology.
Tasks to accomplish:
Preprocessing of medical images:
- De-identifying the images, data preparation and denoising of the diagnostics images, 2D and 3D data scaling and normalization, the development of image data loaders in PyTorch or its analogs, the preprocessing of numerical and textual data in the images, replacing/removing missing values; testing the data for outliers, finding duplicated or highly correlated features; applying masks of the studied organ to the diagnostic images,
- Running classification, detection, and segmentation tasks (with 3dSlicer, CAT12, etc.).
- Preparing analytics over the preprocessed dataset:
- checking whether the dataset is versatile enough for different ML approaches; finding correlations between different features; running feature selection algorithms to find the most informative data sources (numerical vs. images.
Building up regression and classification models and estimating their performance metrics:
- Preparing a data visualization module for the qualitative and quantitative quality validation, training a deep convolutional neural net to get predictions based on 2d and 3D data, training models with spatial attention (standard and self-attention) to focus on the most valuable parts of 2d and 3d data, trying classical non-neural approaches (e.g. gradient boosting) to get predictions based on the whole dataset, adding functions for calculating ROC-AUC, error rate, precision, recall, sensitivity, specificity.
- Applying deep learning-based architectures to analyze visual data in different variants: convolutional NN for classification tasks, single stage or multistage DLL detection systems, generative adversarial networks (GAN) for super-resolution and reconstruction, recurrent neural networks for automatic report generation.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related field from a recognized university.
- Knowledge of working with Big Data platforms and developing data mining models and analytics solutions
- Programming experience particularly in Python and R
- Experience in developing advanced machine learning models (e.g. deep learning, NLP, Computer Vision)
- Proven experience in related technology such as cloud computing, distributed systems, Hadoop, Spark, MapReduce, visualization tools (e.g. Power BI), etc.
- Experience with data visualization and reporting (e.g. Power BI)
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.