Job description / Role
The purpose of this position is to provide effective engineering and maintenance services covering the power supply for Dubai Metro
Structure and reporting relationship
This position reports to the Power Supply Team Leader
• Assist the Power Supply Team Leader in carrying out all level of preventive and corrective maintenance activities and minor modifications on power supply system covering H.V. traction power supplies, stray current & EMC monitoring, sub-stations, L.V. systems & emergency power supplies, uninterrupted power supplies, L.V. main switch, wayside isolators and any other parts within the power supply system;
• Diagnose cause of electrical or mechanical malfunction or failure of operational equipment, replace faulty equipment and handover/taken back to the electrical workshop for repair;
• Ensure the maintenance tools & equipment are in good condition both before and after job activities;
• Under the supervision of Power Supply Team Leader to conduct periodical electrical testing, stress testing, check motor-control devices, switch panels, transformers, circuit breakers and gas insulated switches, generator windings, solenoids, and other electrical equipment and components and recommend or initiate modification or replacement of equipment which fails to meet acceptable operating standards;
• Perform roles necessary for the management of the safe system of works, including to meet tight maintenance schedules;
• Follow the relevant procedures and work instructions to ensure compliance with Serco Dubai Metro requirements;
• Produce and maintain accurate maintenance records of power supply system and equipment performance, work accomplished and other information using a computerised maintenance management system;
• Assist the Power Supply Team Leader and/or other technical support staff to implement complex systems or new projects;
• To be assigned and rotated to the First Line Response Technicians team when required;
• Perform shift and emergency duties when required;
• Perform and carry out duties as instructed/ directed by the Power Supply Team Leader and other senior Power Supply Maintenance Staff
SAE Responsibilities and Information Security Responsibilities
• Awareness of the Integrated Management System and the content of the Environment, Quality, Health & Safety and Information Security Policy Statements;
• Understanding of personal responsibilities and contribution to achieving compliance with the Integrated Management System requirements, (including but not limited to competence to perform safety critical roles, legal requirements, control measures arisen from environmental impacts and aspects, job safety analysis and information security risk assessment) and the potential consequences of departure from the arrangements in place to deliver the commitments stated in the policies statements above;
• To exercise a personal duty of care for their own health, safety and welfare and for those affected by their acts or omissions;
• To use safety equipment (including PPE) as required and intended and observe that this is also enforced among subcontractors and third parties working in Serco’s controlled premises/systems
• Promote a good HSQE and Information Security culture among their peers, subcontractors and third parties;
• Lead by example and look at ways to conserve energy, water and resources and minimise the generation of waste through personal performance and raise recommendations on how to improve existing processes on this regard within/outside their departments through their Line Manager, Departmental Safety Meetings and any other appropriate available channels;
• Protect information assets and data including both electronic and paper based from all threats whether internal, external, deliberate or accidental;
• Promote a good HSQE and Information Security culture among their peers, subcontractors and third parties
• Vocational trade certificate or diploma in electrical engineering discipline or equivalent;
• Working knowledge in 750V DC traction, transmission and distribution, 132K and 33K GIS, 132kV/33kV transformers, reactors, condensers, earthing transformer, high speed DC circuit breakers, cabling system, 3rd rail electrification, power sub-stations and ancillary plant would be a definite advantage.
• Must have good eyesight and normal colour vision;
• Ability to use and calibrate various electrical and electronics test equipment and PC for the maintenance of power supply system;
• Ability to write simple technical reports, routine business correspondence, prepare method statements and drawings as required;
• Possess good communication skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and work productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment;
• Strong organisational skills, detail oriented, and the ability to handle multiple priorities;
• Hold a valid driving license with good driving skill and experience
• Minimum 1 year work experience as a qualified power supply maintenance technician in maintaining and repairing power supply and distribution system preferably in a rail or power utilities industry;
• Knowledge and experience in operating SCADA control and configuring programmable logic controllers is essential;
Additional/special features of the role
• Ensure compliance with the Serco Management System and all relevant business processes, procedures and work instructions to deliver all work with appropriate quality and governance standards
• Ensure security and integrity of all data provided including reporting performance, finance and customer information; reference Serco non-disclosure policy
• To exercise personal duty of care for their own health, safety and welfare and for those affected by their acts or omissions; reference SMS GSOP-HSE1-6 Serco organisational HSE responsibilities
• Ensure compliance with all training requirements of Serco and ensure adherence to these requirements at all times whilst in employment
• Report any accidents, incidents, breaches or potential breaches to appropriate management or the speak up process
Safety Critical Competencies
• Maintaining high voltage electrical equipment
• Communicating with Control Centre Controllers
About the Company
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Serco customers are looking for expertise in managing their people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise economic decision makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver quality services directly to the public.
Serco supplies to governments, government enterprise, agencies and companies who seek a trusted outsourcing partner with a solid track-record of service excellence. Serco people offer operational, logistical and technical expertise in the Transport, Justice and Immigration, Defence, Education and Healthcare industries as well as in the commercial sectors of Facilities Management.
Serco Middle East have been in the Region since 1947, starting out delivering Air Traffic Control Services in Bahrain; a service we are proudly still running today and have expanded to include many other Airports in the region.
We have expanded significantly since that time across the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. We have been supporting the RTA to operate the Dubai Metro since 2009, are preparing to launch the flagship Saudi Arabia Passenger Rail service from Riyadh to Qassim in 2016. We deliver Facility Management services to both Cleveland Clinic and Healthpoint Hospitals in Abu Dhabi, large-scale medical facilities in Saudi Arabia and a range of educational and commercial properties in the UAE. We also deliver postgraduate education to Officers in the Qatar Armed Forces through the Joaan Bin Jassim Joint Command and Staff College in Doha.
Focusing on our core values, and creating a positive environment for employees to thrive, we look forward to a bright future as we continue to grow with the region.