Job description / Role
Key Roles and Responsibilities
* This is a leadership and management role within Global Subsidiaries ("GS").
* GS has full accountability for managing inbound client relationships commonly referred to as the network, across the respective region. Network management includes: overseeing and developing bankers (FAMs, RAMs and Corridor FAMs) who have direct responsibilities for relationship management coverage of the overseas offices of our GB clients, coordination with product partners on developing and executing origination strategies, oversight in managing client service levels, and oversight of the interaction between the FAMs, RAMs and Corridor FAMs with all risk and control functions including Risk Management, legal & Compliance, FCC, Business Finance and Operations.
* The individual will be expected to have active engagement and high level ('c' suite) contacts with senior executives within clients.
* This position is expected to take the lead in developing the broader regional GS team and agenda in terms of recruitment, training and developing banker skills, managing efficient client loading, and solving related business, client and personnel challenges. Ultimately, anything that impacts client relationships for GS clients within the region falls within the roles remit.
* We would expect this position will consistently entail a top to bottom strategy review for GS MENAP including allocation of existing resources, client coverage productivity, client profitability, and product initiatives.
* As the Country Head for GS UAE & Region Head for GS MENAP, this role will assume all the responsibilities under the Risk Management Framework - both execution and supervisory. This person will act as the risk control owner under the Groups Risk Management Framework, and ensure the country and regional GS team has a full understanding of the risk and control environment. The person will also maintain a strong working relationship with Credit, Legal and Compliance and other key stakeholders.
* This person shall ensure compliance with the highest standards of Regulatory and Business Conduct, and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements which includes local banking laws, other applicable laws, and anti money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions regulations and guidelines. The Country & Region Head will take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role, and understand and comply with in letter and in spirit.
* This person shall also be responsible for the GS UAE and GS MENAP teams to effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters, and embed the Groups values and code of conduct to insure adherence to the highest standards of ethics.
* The key stakeholders include the GS Management Team, the Region Heads of GB and GS, Country GB Heads, the relevant Regional and Country CEOs, and the relevant Regional and Country product heads.
* Financial objectives and non-financial metrics will be set as part of the annual budgeting cycle.
* Engage senior management and decision makers of key clients to improve the quality of dialogue with clients, promoting a move away from 'transactional' reactive client coverage to consistent value added partner/trusted advisor status.
* Anticipate clients' needs and provide strategic advice, bringing in the relevant product and industry partners as appropriate.
* Professionally represent Standard Chartered within region and internationally.
* Bring strategic thought to how the corporate landscape regionally/globally is changing and where areas of international growth lie.
* Ensure that industry and product knowledge is continually developed.
* Stay abreast and anticipate the developments of the Industries in which our clients operate.
Judgement & Complexity
* Judgment must be exercised continuously in order to identify, assess, structure and service profitable business. Cultivate existing opportunities as well as to introduce control measures over, or the disengagement of, select account relationships to maintain portfolio quality and relationship manager client loading productivity.
* Each relationship requires unique account relationship planning and execution skills effectively collaborating with local and global account managers and product partners.
* Judgment is required in structuring complex finance deals for subsidiaries of large corporates requiring proficiency, experience and exposure to such practices.
* To be able to detect any suspicious transactions, money laundering, forgeries, sanctions breaches etc.
* Requires keeping abreast of product development in Transaction Banking, Financial and Capital Markets, and to a lesser extent in Corporate Finance to maximise the business opportunities for the Bank.
* Have solid knowledge of the Groups Policies, standards, and local regulations
* Responsible for assessing the effectiveness of the Group's arrangements to deliver effective governance, oversight and controls in the business and, if necessary, oversee changes in these areas
* Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
* Responsible for delivering 'effective governance'; capability to challenge fellow executives effectively; and willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
Business / Function Manager
* A track record in leading and managing large, diverse banking teams, preferably across client coverage and relationship management.
* A proven history of developing and training bankers under the person's charge.
* A successful record of working with senior stakeholders.
* Manage Conduct , Risk Management and Internal Controls.
* Spot Opportunities, Solve Problems, Take the Lead, Build Resilience, Collaborate, Communicate, Deliver Sustainably, Achieve Results
* Strategy / Market Knowledge / Products and Processes, Sales - Prospecting / Account Planning / Client Pitching / Relationship Management
* Solid experience and knowledge in corporate banking products including Transaction Banking, Financial and Capital Markets, and Lending.
* Strong credit appraisal and evaluation skills, with the ability to interpret and explain complex financial information.
* A good understanding of the general, economic, political and business environment of the region
* Excellent communication (written and verbal) and negotiation skills.
* Preferred Bachelor degree in Banking or Finance, with Post Graduate learning.
* Preferred experience in banking
* Risk & AML certified as stipulated by Bank policy (incl. CCC / C6 mandatory)
About the Company
Standard Chartered Bank started in 1958 in UAE with its first branch in Sharjah. The Group’s business gradually increased in Dubai with the opening of several branches and today, Dubai is the administrative hub of the Middle East and South Asia Region. In its 43rd year, the Bank enjoys the position of having the most extensive branch network among foreign international banks in UAE with 10 branches emirate-wide.
Standard Chartered is an international bank, focused on the established and emerging markets of Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America with an extensive global network of more than 600 offices in over 50 countries. The three principal business groups are Global Markets, Personal Banking and Corporate and Institutional Banking.
In UAE, we are one of the leading banks, offering an extensive range of products and services for personal customers, local companies, multinational corporate and financial institutions.
MD, Public Sector & Development Organisations, MENAP
Standard Chartered Bank - UAE
Vice President, Risk Management
General Manager - Freight
Middle East Executive
GCC Sales and Operations Manager