Job description / Role
The Department of Architectural Engineering at the United Arab Emirates University is seeking to hire a research assistant in the area of sustainable urban development, with a focus on quantitative analysis of urban form and its ability to support alternatives to private automobile use for transportation. The research assistant should be knowledgeable of quantitative of urban form metrics (density, diversity, design) as well as street network analysis. The candidate should be able to prepare vector and raster datasets for morphological analysis in GIS and related CAD software, analyze these data using both standard metrics of urban form and dedicated network analysis packages. The candidate should also be able to synthetize these data.
The preferred candidate should have demonstrated experience in urban planning, sustainable transportation, and/or urban morphology and have a master degree in a relevant field.
University degree in relevant field (urban planning, urban design, architecture) and evidence in support of the following:
- Skilled in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and associated data
- Skilled in the use of CAD systems
- Knowledge of street network analysis
- Knowledge of statistical methods
- Good technical writing skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to take the initiative and learn when executing the role.
- Willingness to transition to, or start as, a PhD student.
In addition to the qualifications outlined above the following skills would be considered an advantage.
- Familiar with UAE and GCC urbanization characteristics
- Familiar with UAE sustainability rating systems (e.g., Estidama)
- Significant knowledge about the academic literature on sustainable urban development
- Significant knowledge about the academic literature on non-motorized and sustainable transportation (walking, biking, transit).
- Familiar with the Peer Reviewed Journal publication process
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.
Team Administrator / Personal Assistant
|Abu Dhabi||14 Sep|
Big Fish Recruitment
A Leading Insurance Broker In The Middle East
HR & Admin Assistant
Styro Insulations Materials Ind. LLC