Research Assistant (GNSS-R Instrumentation and Application)
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
Al Ain, UAE
Job description / Role
The Electrical and Communications Engineering Department at the United Arab Emirates University is seeking a research assistant (i.e. PhD graduate student) on Global Navigation Satellite Systems Reflectometry (GNSS-R) to foster "passive radar" instrumentation and applications, notably related to efficient water monitoring. Collateral applications to navigation and ionospheric monitoring are also foreseen. The position involves strong interaction with the National Space Science and Technology Center (NSSTC).
The research assistant should be knowledgeable in the areas of Remote Sensing, Signal Processing, Microwave Circuits, Antennas, and Software Defined Radios (SDRs), with interests in developing instrumentation, and should be able to conduct independent research on these topics.
The goal is to develop a flexible GNSS-R instrument, that could be tuned for different platforms, and -being passive- can be scaled in a future to Small Satellites (i.e. CubeSats). The instrument should be built at L-band (1-2 GHz), or at lower frequencies to benefit from other existing signals of opportunity, that could be used for applications of national interest.
The SDR developments will be developed in collaboration with a parallel PhD Thesis on GB-SAR.
- M.Sc. in Electrical or Computer Engineering, or a relevant field (e.g. Electronics, Telecommunications Engineering)
- Knowledge on Remote Sensing, Signal Processing, Microwaves, Antennas, and SDRs.
- Ability to develop RF systems, design microwave circuits from scratch, assemble subsystems, design or specify antennas, program SDRs
- Ability to test and validate the individual subsystems, and to integrate them at system level.
- Embedded Systems Development
- Write technical documentation.
- Good technical writing and oral skills in native language, and English.
- Flexible, motivated, collaborative, and willing to work in a team.
- Experience in RF lab instrumentation and testing.
- Experience in hardware projects development.
- Ability to work with junior students and mentor them.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.