Job description / Role
• Assist evaluation of plants in the greenhouse for the research programs of Khalifa Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology.
• Minimum of one-year working experience in a greenhouse or equivalent by growing variety of plants such as fruit crops, turf grasses, trees, etc.
• Ability to fulfill physical requirements for working in the greenhouse/plant room, including lifting/moving 25 Kg bags of soil, fertilizer, etc. moving trays and pots.
• Knowledge of plant, soil, fertilizers, plant diseases, etc., and also rules and regulations relating to safe chemical, pesticide and herbicide applications.
• Ability to understand, follow, and carry out repetitive procedures.
• Ability to identify pest infestation, diseases as well as other technical problems such as water and light issues.
• Skills to operate different equipment's, and ability to manage Greenhouse environmental systems and operations.
• Flexibility to work outside normal business hours, including few hours during weekends and emergency situations.
• Good communication skills in English (writing also)/Arabic.
• Diploma or higher degree related to Agriculture, Horticulture, Plant Science, Botany, etc. or equivalent with experience in greenhouse maintenance of plants
• Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, Horticulture, Plant Science, Botany, etc. or equivalent with experience in greenhouse maintenance of plants
• Growing and maintaining plants in greenhouses/plant rooms
• Planting and watering of plants, plant propagation, harvesting, and managing plants and seed stocks, germinating seeds, transplanting seedlings and plants in various pots, relocating plants, pruning and trimming of plants, fertilizing, soil preparation, weeding, pest control, etc.
• Monitoring of plants for pest and nutrition problems, and diseases and implementation of effective treatment.
• Accurate labelling (in English) of plants.
• Collecting plant samples for analysis with accurate labels, documenting observations at different time intervals as specified by the scientists/Lab Specialists/Research Assistants.
• Maintenance of greenhouse environmental system, and monitoring changes in plant growing conditions.
• Maintenance of greenhouses, storerooms, and infrastructure, such as cleaning, washing reusable containers, etc.
• Autoclaving and disposal of the discarded/waste plant materials.
• Other duties as assigned
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
|Al Ain||10 Feb|
Teacher - Science / Chemistry / Biology
The First Academy
Admin Assistant - Operations
Alpha Group (Alpha Flight Services UAE)
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
|Al Ain||24 Feb|