Job description / Role
We are seeking a Research Assistant with expertise in food microbiology to join our new team at the Veterinary Medicine Department. Veterinary Public Health and Meat Hygiene Research Group). The position is open for one and half year (starting around October 2020), with a possibility of extension and upgrade.
- The Research Assistant will contribute significantly to our dynamic veterinary public health projects that focus on detection and enumeration of microbial pathogens and hygienic indicators (e.g. Campylobacter, Salmonella, E. coli) in food of animal origin (e.g. fish, meat and chicken).
- Previous experience in screening antimicrobial resistance (disc diffusion and MIC techniques) is very much desirable.
- Opportunities to work together with other researchers exploring food safety across the supply chain and utilizing molecular-based technologies exist.
- The Research Assistant will ideally have a degree in Microbiology or Veterinary/Food Science or a relevant Biological/Medical sciences discipline.
- Work experience in microbiology (food/clinical/environmental) is very essential.
- MSc in a related research topic (VPH, microbiology, food safety, meat hygiene).
- Knowledge and experience in preparation of bacteriological media, working with microbial samples and working under aseptic conditions, whilst applying Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) is essential.
- Essential skills include: attention to detail, accurate record keeping, flexible attitude to work, proactive and willing to learn new skills.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.