Job description / Role
• Exciting PhD position in "Green extraction and bioactive properties of polyphenolic compounds from date palm by-products" as part of Functional foods and nutraceutical research program.
• As an enthusiastic and innovative PhD candidate you will join the Food, Nutrition and Health Department (Food Science PhD Program) which is a 4-year funded project having on board international collaborators from USA, Greece, Oman and Date industry.
• You will explore novel green extraction technology using Natural Deep Eutectic Solvents (NADESs) for recovery of bioactive compounds from date by-products (date seeds, date leaves, and low-quality dates). In coordination with other team members working on green extraction, characterization and bioactive properties of polyphenols from date by-products, you will be synthesize NADESs using hydrogen bond acceptor and hydrogen bond donors.
• Different combination and ratio of NADESs will be tested and optimized for date polyphenolic (DPP) extraction. DPP extracts will be subjected to characterization and quantification of phenolic compounds and their in-vitro bioactivities (antioxidant, antidiabetic and anticancer) will be explored. Furthermore, stability and bio-accessibility of NADES extracted DPP under simulated gastro-intestinal digestion (SGID) conditions will be explored.
• Moreover, development of functional beverages and dairy based products fortified with NADES extracted DPP will be carried out and tested for its biological activity and acceptability by the consumers.
• Key laboratory techniques involved are likely to be ultrasonicator, microplate reader, HPLC, spectroscopy, Cell culture techniques, animal (rat) studies etc.
• The candidate will have to work independently in a laboratory conditions and is expected to have good manuscript writing skills.
• The project would suit a food scientist, a nutritionist or biologist with strong lab skills and preferably experience in a cell culture lab technique. The scholarship is available immediately and the starting date is August 2020. Please note the successful candidate must have a first-class honors Master's degree by thesis GPA 3.3
• Starting date: August 2020 (Fall 2020 Semester)
• Applicant must have an earned a Master's Degree in Food Science/Nutrition or related discipline.
• Minimum GPA in MSc should be 3.3 out of 4 and IELTS score of 6.5 or above
• Master's Degree in Food Science with thesis on relevant topic to the project (preferable).
• A candidate well experienced in extracting, characterizing and exploring nutraceutical properties of bioactive compounds will be preferred.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.