Job description / Role
The Office of Safety and Crisis Management at American University of Sharjah (AUS) seeks a Safety Engineer who will assist in implementing a health and safety management system.
In addition to promoting a health and safety-conscious culture within the university environment, the primary duty is to assist the Safety and Crisis Manager in day-to-day health, safety and crisis management tasks.
Ideally, the Safety Engineer should facilitate implementation and compliance of AUS with applicable safety local and federal laws and regulations. In addition, the Safety Engineer should provide technical advice on measures to minimize hazards and unhealthy situations, as required/applicable.
- Ensure AUS meets the necessary legislative obligations and assist the Safety and Crisis Manager in continually improving campus health and safety.
- Support the development of health and safety policies, procedures, training, campaigns, publications and programs.
- Advise on various safety and risk-related topics (workplace hazards, fire, electrical, mechanical, work equipment, chemical/biological, laboratory, transportation and asset/building safety and risk control).
- Conduct and review risk assessments and enforce preventive measures.
- Review and update existing policies according to current legislation.
- Organize health and safety-related employee training.
- Organize and facilitate administrative tasks associated with Health and Safety Committee Meetings (arrange meeting venue; prepare agenda, meeting minutes, reports and related documents).
- Inspect construction site premises and contractors to identify occurrences of health and safety non-conformity.
- Oversee installations, maintenance, and disposal of hazardous substances etc.
- Record and investigate incidents to determine root causes and plan for corrective and preventive measures.
- Prepare reports on health and safety-related occurrences and provide monthly statistical data.
- Inspect campus events in regards to health and safety compliance.
- Participate in fire drills during and during/after official working hours.
- Participate in incident investigation process as requested by the Safety and Crisis Manager.
- Serve as an emergency res-ponder (24/7) and coordinate with AUS security, Facilities Department maintenance emergency team and UHC medical team, as applicable.
- BSc in engineering and/or related discipline with health and safety experience
- 2-3 years prior experience as a Safety Engineer
- Familiarity with applicable local and federal (health, safety and crisis) legislation and procedures
- Familiarity with potential hazardous materials
- Excellent English writing skills and experience in writing meeting minutes, reports and drafting policies and procedures
- Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint
- Familiarity with preparing health and safety risk assessments
- Familiarity with laboratory safety and associated hazards
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Diligent with great attention to detail
- Professional communication skills with the ability to present and explain health and safety topics
Preferred Qualifications & Experience:
- Member of Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
- NEBOSH IGC qualification
- Experience in construction health and safety or similar
- Previous health and safety role in a higher education institution
About the Company
American University of Sharjah (AUS) was founded in 1997 by His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah. The university was envisaged by His Highness as a leading educational institution in the Gulf region. Located in University City, Sharjah, AUS is a not-for-profit, independent, institution of higher education formed on the American model.
It offers 26 majors and 45 minors at the undergraduate level, and 14 master's degrees through the College of Architecture, Art and Design; the College of Arts and Sciences; the College of Engineering; and the School of Business Administration. These programs are designed to meet the challenges of a competitive and dynamic business and industrial environment.
As a provider of quality higher education in the Gulf, AUS is licensed and its programs are accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the Ministry of Education's Higher Education Affairs Division in the United Arab Emirates. AUS is accredited in the United States of America by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies