Job description / Role
UAEU is seeking an exceptional Digital Instructional Designer to develop the Instructional Design and Development unit within the Digital Learning Department. The successful candidate will provide instructional design expertise for the Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, and Evaluation (ADDIE) support of online courses and educational programs. S/he will be responsible for assisting faculty in the design of online coursework/programs and instructional practices, development of learning resources and re-visioning of courses and course segments to online delivery modalities.
Reporting to the Senior Instructional Design specialist, this role plays an integral part in the success of the University's online learning initiatives. The candidate should have an in-depth understanding of instructional design theories and methodologies to online course design; an awareness of current trends in instructional software, multimedia applications and web-based educational technologies; an understanding of online course management platforms (e.g. Blackboard, edX and Open edX); a currency in best practices in online course design. Furthermore, excellent interpersonal and presentation skills is essential.
Key competencies for the Digital Instructional Design Specialist will include, but not be limited to, the following
* Highly developed communication skills (oral, written, and interpersonal) with the demonstrated ability to work effectively with multiple constituencies in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
* Expertise in applying learning theory and pedagogy to develop instructional design strategies in higher education.
* Knowledge and application of best practices using technology for teaching and learning, including but not limited to, multimedia development, web conferencing, learning management systems, social networking, online collaborative tools, and mobile solutions for education.
* Ability to and experience in designing and delivering faculty professional development in a higher education setting
* Ability to monitor and report on the course development process.
* Familiarity with copyright laws and creative commons and how they pertain to courses.
* Ability to use one or more eLearning authoring tools (e.g., Camtasia, Captivate, Articulate).
* Mastering instructional design models/frameworks (such as ADDIE) and educational media production cycles.
* Basic understanding of standard web markup languages and best practices (HTML/CSS)
* Competency in eLearning analytics and business intelligence system such as pyramid analytics.
* Fluent in English - Fluency in Arabic language is a plus but not mandatory.
* Bachelor's degree in Instructional Design, Educational Technology, or closely related discipline with at least two years of higher education instructional design experience.
* At least 5+ years of proven experience in the digital instructional design working with faculty/instructors/subject matter experts to design, develop and support delivery of digital instruction.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.