Job description / Role
We are looking for a senior Intellectual Property and Commercial lawyer with experience of working in the ICT sector (ideally in telecommunications or a similar hi-tech industry). The role holder will be the primary lawyer responsible for all of EITC's Intellectual Property requirements and will also be expected to provide support for a variety of contracts, end to end transactions and projects relating to a number of Commercial business units.
The job holder will act within the framework of Legal Department policies and processes in a legal advisory capacity and reporting to the Senior Director - Legal Counsel.
The nature of the job requires effective coordination and support to the Relevant Business Units and external legal advisors on specific issues. The job holder has to:
• Provide pro-active and re-active legal advice
• Review, negotiate and draft contracts for the Relevant Business Units
• Draft, review and amend non-contractual legal documentation
• Negotiate legal aspects of agreements with customers and suppliers
• Direct the management of eitc's intellectual property portfolio
• Prepare and develop relevant corporate governance documentation
• Liaise with external legal advisers and other external advisors
• Manage relationships with multiple internal and external stakeholders
• Provide training and know-how on relevant legal issues
• Supervise any work undertaken by EITC's external legal advisors
• Manage resolution of legal disputes (including litigation)
• 7-10 years of post-qualification experience (PQE) as a lawyer in a recognized jurisdiction, with approximately 5-7 years of work experience gained either in a top commercial law firm or an in-house environment.
• 5 or more years of experience advising on intellectual property matters(contentious and non-contentious), including intellectual property registration, assignment, licensing etc, intellectual property portfolio management and brand management
• Experience working in the ICT sector (eg telecommunications or a similar hi-tech industry)
• Prior experience of working in a GCC &/or MENA country highly desirable
• Experience of working independently and under pressure and managing the requirements of multiple internal and external stakeholders.
• Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or Master of Laws, or other relevant legal qualification from a recognized civil/common law jurisdiction.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Fluent English language
• Strong written and verbal communications skills (including strong legal drafting skills)
• Deep knowledge of trade mark and copyright law issues:
• Working knowledge of other key Intellectual property areas (patents, registered designs etc)
• Exposure to social media/digital advertising business models desirable
• Strong negotiating skills
• Strong commercial focus, pragmatic and solutions-oriented
• Ability to project manage legal transactions and issues, including ability to work effectively as part of cross-functional virtual teams
• Ability to effectively manage the requirements of multiple internal and external stakeholders
• Well organized and efficient, with ability to manage time and prioritize effectively
• Results and outcomes focused, with a hands-on approach and ability to produce high quality output with minimal supervision
• Professionalism and attention to detail and quality
• Team work, co-operation and customer service orientation
• Good understanding of ICT technologies
• MS Office skills (Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel)
• Familiar with legal document management systems and other legal technology solutions
• Bilingual capability in Arabic and English desirable but not essential
• Team-oriented, co-operative approach
• Knowledge of the UAE legal system and telecommunications regulatory regime is desirable.
About the Company
du is the new telecommunication services provider in the UAE. We are an integrated service provider offering voice, data, video and content services over fixed and mobile networks to residential and business customers.
du has three broad target segments:
Consumers: Focusing on individuals and households by offering mobile and fixed voice calling, Internet, data services and television. Businesses: Focusing on small to very large corporations and government agencies by offering integrated fixed and mobile business solutions including voice, data, content and applications as well as professional services.
Carriers: Focusing on providing carrier, international data networks and wholesale services to international operators, multinational corporations and telecom carriers.
The needs of our customers are our primary focus. Our aim is to provide new and innovative services that deliver a better customer experience.