Job description / Role
Our client, a prestigious full service bank, would like to hire a mid-level banking lawyer to support all the business units with transactional matters.
Reports directly to:
General Counsel & Company Secretary
Reported to by:
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide ongoing advices, recommendations and guidance in relation to legal and regulatory matters, implementing a robust monitoring plan covering all of departments and members of the Group. Conduct search, collect information, counsel and guide on legal matters.
• Deal with all divisions on a regular basis and provide support and professional advices on all legal matters including but not limited to review and sign off documents presented by individual and corporate customers. Assist in discussing, negotiating and persuading customers to the collection and execute the necessary documents and collaterals with an aim to protect the interest of the Group.
• Draft, review, negotiate and sign off all types of contracts, policies, and legal documents including but not limited to:
• Commercial loans and credit facilities arrangements;
• LMA type of documents;
• Terms and conditions for wholesale/retailing banking products or services;
• Contracts related to different types of commercial arrangements;
• Contracts related to various types of services procured by the Group;
• Contracts related to licensing intellectual properties;
• Contracts related to acquisition/disposal/lease of real estates
• Relevant policies and product papers;
• correspondent with key stakeholders including government authorities; and
Other type of transactional documents as may be required in the course of the Group's business.
• Engage with the Group's external lawyers on the preparation of complex and detailed legal assignments, obtaining external legal opinions and approvals on the subject-referred by other department and members of the Group.
• When required assist the General Counsel and Company Secretary in attending general assemblies, board and relevant committee meetings, prepare resolutions and support drafting, implementing and monitoring corporate governance requirements.
• Work with Management and other divisions to spread awareness of laws and regulations. Review and summarize the key laws and regulations with an aim to conduct presentations to group of employees/managers.
• When required, supervise the preparation of the defense in litigation; work with outside counsel to develop the defense, brief and guide them, and supervise their work. For this purpose, holder of this role is expected to coordinate with other divisions to retrieve and establish evidences to support the litigation section of the department.
• Challenge and question processes and procedures and proactively implement suggestions from others for improvements in procedures to develop the business.
• Conduct legal due diligence as and when required in relation to transactions to be entered into by the Group and prepare reports highlighting legal risks.
• Liaise and maintain beneficial relations with various external stakeholders such as regulators and governmental authorities.
• Lead and drive performance of the reporting legal advisors, set up goals and monitor performance on regular basis.
• Perform any other duties or responsibilities consistent with the role as maybe assigned by the General Counsel and Company Secretary.
Arabic/English banking lawyer
• Minimum 9 years of which at least 5 years should be with reputed law firm or the legal department of a financial institution, preferably a full service bank. FLuency in Arabic is a must. However, English drafting must be very strong as well.
• Competent with drafting, reviewing and assessing legal documentation in both Arabic and English.
• Knowledgeable and experienced in interpreting the laws and regulations.
• Knowledge and experience with Company Law / UAE Laws, Judgments (Courts) and Doctrines
• Track records of handling variety of legal matters related to financial services.
McGregor Boyall is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, age, sexuality, gender identification, or physical ability.
About the Company
Established in 1987, McGregor Boyall Associates Ltd is a global recruitment consultancy providing permanent and contract / interim professionals throughout Financial Services and Commerce & Industry.
Headquartered in the City of London, and with further offices throughout the UK (Manchester and Edinburgh) as well as globally in Dubai and Singapore, we are able to offer recruitment solutions throughout the UK & Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific regions.
Since our inception, we have built an unrivalled reputation for helping organisations recruit the very best talent to ensure that they realise their business and operational objectives.