Job description / Role
ADNOC is one of the world's leading energy producers, and a primary catalyst for the growth and diversification of the United Arab Emirates.
Our diverse family of more than 50,000 employees is made up of over 100 different nationalities. People from different backgrounds, with unique perspectives and wide-ranging skillsets, who share a collective responsibility: to enable and accelerate progress, both here in the UAE and across the globe.
Here at ADNOC, we go beyond business as usual. We do things differently, challenge convention, and embrace new ways of thinking. This is what defines and differentiates us.
By working together every day, we're bringing energy to life.
Responsible for entire gamut of legal affairs and corporate legal matters of the company. Provide legal opinions, advises, interpretations, complex risk mitigations and due diligences on contracts, agreements, deeds, and other legal drafting's and documents from the projects, commercial, drilling, subsurface and other functions.
Recommend settlement of claims in connection with complex major projects. Interface with external counsel in respect of litigation that the company is involved in, and advice on alternative dispute resolution.
Job Specific Accountabilities
- Plan, organize, coordinate and supervises the activities of Legal affairs of the company.
- Defines and draws up as required major complex contract agreements between other parties and the Company. This involves analysing the contract conditions and making recommendations as to legally acceptable courses of actions to be taken. Formulates principles to be followed in contracts policies, ensures that the agreements meet with the laws of U.A.E.
- Provides preventive legal advice to Senior Management/Commercial Division and Project Function on all topics such as curative legal advice, to minimise disputes and litigation, which is costly to the Company.
- Involved in the preparation, review and negotiation of company contractual transactions to limit potential risk exposure, providing legal representation for the company, ensuring that all matters of business comply with company policies and ethical standards.
- Provision of comprehensive legal services to the contract and procurement function.
- Risk transactions on international deals that require negotiation of issues that involve International Law.
- Studies and scans contractor's claims likely to have an effect on the Company operations. This involves analysing claims and making legal recommendations and ensuring all relevant points are brought to the attention of the Commercial Division.
- Participates in negotiation of settlements of disputes arising out of claims or contracts as required, prepares submission in arbitration cases and co-ordinates with the Company advocate when representing the Company in court actions both locally and abroad.
- Drafting and reviewing different contracts in the oil and gas, construction, Drilling sector.
- Supervising and giving guidance and counselling to subordinate staff in the legal department.
- Advising on how new regulatory initiatives impact the entire business of the Company.
- Advising on corporate governance and giving recommendations on the adoption of corporate governance policies.
- Advising management on legal and regulatory changes that impact the business of the company.
Minimum Qualification, Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Law or other suitable similar discipline.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience preferably in top international law / consultancy firms and/or local or international blue-chip corporate/s.
- Experience in Shipping/Maritime/Logistics industry is an advantage but not a pre-requisite.
- Must be a qualified lawyer in a common law or civil law jurisdiction.
About the Company
We are one of the world's leading energy producers, and a primary catalyst for Abu Dhabi’s growth and diversification.
We operate across the entire hydrocarbon value chain, through a network of fully-integrated businesses, with interests that range from exploration, production, storage, refining and distribution, to the development of a wide-range of petrochemical products.
Since 1971, we have created thousands of jobs, driven the growth of a diverse knowledge-based economy, and played a key role in Abu Dhabi’s global emergence.
Today, we continue to look for new and innovative ways to maximize the value of our resources, pioneering those approaches and technologies that will ensure we are able to meet the demands of an ever-changing energy market, and continue to have a positive impact on the Abu Dhabi economy for generations to come.