Job description / Role
Alshaya Food (Central Production Facility "CPF") is a leading manufacturer of a wide range of ambient, chilled, and frozen foods across the GCC. We have a passion for food and look for exceptional people with a wealth of experience in food manufacturing. We create great-tasting products and continuously innovate with recipes and technology used in our world-class food production facilities.
We are looking for a talented and motivated Assistant Production Manager/ Shift Manager with experience in the food manufacturing industry, who will ensure that the most effective production process is in place and according to the production plan whilst meeting the production schedule
You will carry the responsibility for the performance of typically a group of machines and its team members - within this environment the ability to effectively communicate across shifts will be key, (typically the need to give and receive shift handover information). The role has a number of direct team members (typically 20-30 as direct reports)
- To ensure efficient operation of workstations during the shift whilst following site safety, quality and operational procedures.
- To ensure effective and efficient use of labour and resources.
- To train staff in all areas (where competent to do so) including normal operation, changeover, routine maintenance tasks as required.
- To coordinate the efforts of line engineers to minimise downtime and maximise productivity.
- Liaise with QA / QC to ensure quality and technical matters are promptly addressed.
- To ensure the area output, manning and quality standards are achieved.
- Participate in routine engineering tasks and manage line engineers to ensure continuous improvement and planned maintenance work is kept up to date.
- The role holder may need to work off shift as and when the need may arise to contribute to project work or continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ensure adherence to all company quality, safety, environmental & production procedures and policies.
- The role holder must be prepared to train in additional skills, e.g., engineering.
- This is a shift position. Night (or rotating) shift may be required. The hours worked will be appropriate to reflect the needs of the business.
- Control staff levels & report and undertake disciplinary matter (to verbal level) in line with company policy.
- Ensure the use of standard operating procedures to give a consistent platform for carrying out packaging operations.
In addition to being able to undertake all the key outputs of the team member role, you will also be expected to undertake the following tasks:
People Management & Development
- Carries out appraisal of immediate team members.
- Monitors progress and gives feedback to team.
- Carry out disciplinary action to verbal warning in conjunction with HR.
- Reports non-conformance of operatives to shift manager for action.
- Be involved in the recruitment process for own team members.
- Works to deliver against set KPI targets.
- Develop team via regular coaching and mentoring, training and leading by example.
- Assesses competence of operational skills, and trains others. Assess new starters with shift managers.
- Carry out skills analysis and determine training priorities. Take ownership for skills matrix for own team.
- Identify own training needs.
- Report to training team when training completed in the factory, ensuring the training records are up to date.
- Requests holidays to Production Manager.
- Ensure adequate manning of lines to enable line to run. Organise labour during breaks to ensure manning levels are maintained.
- Creates and updates succession plan for key operators.
- Supports new starter programme by ensuring they have a departmental induction.
- Ensure W.I.'s are developed and maintained in a timely manner. Carry out first level review of SOPs.
- Ensures operators work according to W.I.'s.
- Ensure training is delivered to W.I.'s standard.
- Review performance against KPI's - OEE, losses and isolations.
- Drive costs savings through efficient use of resources at their disposal.
- Ensure that team members are kept informed of current financial performance of lines they work on.
- Ensure that the materials are available and on-line in a timely manner.
- Audit paperwork / check sheets and takes corrective action.
- Ensure paperwork is filled in accurately and in a timely manner.
- Plan resources and materials for change over.
- Must start/stop/changeover themselves OR, when believed it is appropriate and ensure that this has been clearly delegated to - and is carried out by - a trained deputy.
- Ensure start up and shutdown checks are carried out.
- Generates suggestions for continuous improvements.
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives within the department.
- Ensure line is running to optimum quality and speed.
- Support CAPEX proposals in line with safety, OEE, and quality improvements, with a view to reduce operating costs.
- Use data capture systems or daily reports to improve performance and reduce waste in their area.
- Problem solve issues as they arise during the shift and escalate to production manager as appropriate.
- Carry out equipment and material trials and ensure all settings and procedures are documented in accordance with site procedures.
- Carry out basic engineering tasks subject to have completed relevant training when training given.
- Ensures relevant documents are completed for engineering, maintenance, lubrication.
- Ensures operatives are not accepting repeating problems - and that they are reported to shift manager and Maintenance Manager to be resolved as soon as possible (i.e., stop and fix before end of shift)
- Ensure any stoppages and downtime during the shift are accounted for by the teams.
- Routinely carry out visual inspections of equipment.
- Ensure compliance to all manufacturing checks and take corrective action where appropriate.
- Take responsibility for specification and procedural compliance.
- Ensure that finished and intermediate goods meet customer expectation/standard and deviations are controlled and managed.
- Act on any quality issues seen anywhere in the factory even if outside their own area of responsibility.
- Take action as instructed for all out of spec product.
- Attend taste panels as and when requested.
- Carry out line / area audits every 4 hours. Record non-conformances and take appropriate action.
- Report any non-routine cleaning requirements to the site Hygiene Manager.
- Ensure that clean-as-you-go practices are maintained by plant operatives.
- Report to Production Manager and Engineering any concerns relating to operation and functionality of CCP's.
Health & Safety
- Be part of a team to assist in the writing of risk assessments.
- Understands the hazards in their area of responsibility and ensures the teams safe working.
- Never walks away from unsafe action or condition.
- Understands their Health and Safety responsibilities and adheres to safe working practices (WI's);
- Ensure compliance to relevant policies and procedures (I.e., PPE policy);
- Ensure the teams carry out safety audits (Daily Safety Checks on guards and equipment on their lines);
- Supports and encourages the reporting of near misses and complete near miss forms.
- Assists investigations as required. Where possible implements recommended improvements.
- Report accidents immediately to Production Manager.
- IOSH Managing Safely (or equivalent).
- Deputize for Production Manager for daily production/planning meeting.
- At end of shift meet with Production Manager for an onsite performance review collating any information required for handover to following shift.
- Ensure team are briefed on key priorities for the shift with 5mins of start; regularly update team on progress.
- Ensure line /process teams and self-attend team briefs.
- Ensure reporting of exceptional performance matters (i.e., out of spec, incidents and accidents etc.) are managed in accordance to QAS;
- Ensure communication boards for own process area are maintained on a shift-by-shift basis.
- Carry out start/end shift handover with opposite Shift Manager daily.
- Ensure line handovers take place.
- Be able to communicate work issues confidently and clearly across all levels of the business.
- Key relationships are with team members, other Shift Managers and Production Managers on a daily basis.
- Be able to communicate machine/equipment problems with engineers and agree on a course of action.
- Liaise with the training team members.
- Liaise with technical team members.
- Decision-making Authority
- Responsible at all times for the performance, quality and safety in their areas, the Shift Manager can stop any process where they think it is not compliant with Food Safety and Health and Safety process on site.
- Return to work interviews of all team members.
- Movement of staff resources as required.
- Release of staff for training and other relevant events.
- Authorising of holidays.
- Set targets for team members.
- Disciplinary action to a verbal warning in conjunction with HR.
Length of experience
5-10 Yrs. Manufacturing
Min 4 Years Managing a large Team at a Manufacturing site
Breadth of experience
Manufacturing, Engineering, Technical or operations
People Management Leadership
Basic Food Safety
Numeracy and IT skills HACCP Awareness Continuous Improvement Techniques
key success in change management (Tangible evidence)
Leading cost reduction initiatives
Proven project management skills
Skill and Knowledge
Ability to follow instructions
Safety / Quality
Basic Food Safety
Basic Health and Safety Qualification
Intermediate Food Safety
Prioritization and time management
About the Company
As a leading international franchise operator, with nearly 90 of the world’s most recognised brands in its portfolio, Alshaya Group brings great shopping, dining, leisure and hospitality experiences to millions of customers across the Middle East & North Africa, Russia, Turkey, Europe and beyond.
Alshaya Group is a dynamic multinational business and family owned enterprise with a consistent record of growth and innovation. For 35 years, Alshaya has been a pioneering force in brand franchising, using its exceptional knowledge and experience to expand at pace.
Our portfolio of well-loved international brands includes Starbucks, H&M, Mothercare, Debenhams, American Eagle Outfitters, P.F. Chang’s, The Cheesecake Factory, The Body Shop, M.A.C, Victoria’s Secret, Boots, Pottery Barn, KidZania and, coming soon, Hampton by Hilton.
From one retail franchise store opened in Kuwait in 1983, Alshaya Group has consistently grown and diversified and today offers customers an unparalleled choice of brands across multiple sectors; Fashion & Footwear, Health & Beauty, Food, Optics, Pharmacy, Home Furnishings, Leisure & Entertainment, and Hotels. A diverse, skilled team of 53,000 people from 120 nationalities support more than 4,000 stores, cafes, restaurants and leisure destinations, a growing online business and a commitment to delivering great customer experiences.