Job description / Role
- Interact with operations supervisor and address issues pertaining to speed boat operations.
Objectives and Role Profile
- To handle the Speed Boat within marine operations, deploy and operate oil spill recovery equipment. Transport Pilot and other personnel to and from vessels
Key Tasks and Performance Indicators
- Transport pilots and other personnel to and from the ships calling at all Ports or at anchor.
- Responsible for the cleanliness, chipping, painting, fenders and safety of the launch.
- Responsible for the safe embarkation / disembarkation of the pilots and other passengers.
- Responsible for the safety of the crew members on board through safe and prudent launch handling and sound seamanship.
- Be well conversant with the engines, generators and other equipment fitted on board. Must be quick to diagnose minor defects and their remedial action.
- Log all the works and defects and make reports as necessary to the Operations Supervisor.
- Keep launch fully seaworthy with sufficient fuel at all times on board and in the store ashore.
- Maintain details of trips in the record log book and maintain record of fuel taken in the fuel log book.
- Handle the Anti-Pollution speed boat in the event of a small oil spill in the port or its vicinity.
- Transport deploys and operates the available oil spill containment boom and clean up equipment under the supervision of HSSE.
- Ensure all oil response equipment are cleaned and stored after use in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations.
- Conversant with winches, skimmer units, various absorbents and deployment / recovery of oil booms.
- Must be conversant with inflating, deflating and storing of oil containment booms on board and in the store ashore.
- Conversant with towing of inflated booms and anchor handling for the same.
- Conversant with usage and operation of Life Saving Appliances and Fire Fighting Equipment on board the Anti-Pollution Vessel and, after raising the alarm, take appropriate action to fight fire breakdown on board.
- Ensure that his seamen are conversant with all Safety Practices, Procedures, operation and maintenance of the oil spill clean-up equipment and cleaning materials.
- When not engaged in any of the above, will be required to carry out other duties within the marine department as directed by Operations Supervisor.
- May be required to work during weekends and public holidays in an emergency.
- Should be well conversant with all fire fighting on board launches and their use.
- Report any defect / incident to the Control Tower with any requirement or assistance if required.
- Must be well trained to handle the boat away from the man fallen over board. He must note the GPS position of the man over-board and advise the port control immediately. Assist the man with life buoy and recover him as soon as possible, make a report as appropriate and submit to the concerned.
- Must be well conversant with chart work, visual and GPS navigation and should be able to work out destination route in the coastal waters of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
- Must be well trained to operate radars, echo sounder and satellite global positioning system (GPS).
- Must be well conversant with rules of the roads at sea, navigation lights, their purpose and the precautions to avoid collisions at sea.
- Must be well conversant with International radio telephony, its procedures and distress signals.
- Intermediate or Secondary School, All STCW certificates required for the industry by an approved institute.
- Written and spoken English is essential, Arabic is preferred
- Minimum 3 - 5 years of relevant experience
- High Standard of Boat and small craft Handling capability
- Effective use of Navigation equipment
- Good knowledge on Buoy Systems
- Sufficient Knowledge on oil spill equipment and combat
- Light motor and mechanical driving license preferable
- Visual and Instrument inshore Navigation
- Working with underwater Divers
- Able to swim
- Good Standard of Seamanship
- Good knowledge of fire fighting, damage control and first aid
Amount of Travel
- Work At Home
About the Company
As a master developer of ports, we at Abu Dhabi Ports are firmly focused on the big picture – diversification of the UAE economy. Our objective is to act as a catalyst for development and trade in the emirate, allowing our customers and stakeholders to benefit from the highest levels of service, marked by excellence and transparency.
Today, we are competing with the best ports and industrial zones in the world having earned a reputation for exceptional, value-added services.