Job description / Role
The Software Developer, reporting to the IT Director, will be responsible for the development, maintenance and support of a range of systems. The aim of this role is to support the organisation by becoming an in-house expert with the ability to drive forward software development projects across the organisation. You will require excellent technical and communication skills and will be confident in working with people at all levels, both inside and outside the organisation, to interpret requirements and provide appropriate solutions.
With previous experience ideally gained within a school you will be joining a team that works together across the Pre-Prep, Prep and Senior schools to deliver excellent IT services to staff, pupils, parents and visitors. The IT department consists of the IT Director, Head of IT Services, Systems Administrator and two Helpdesk Technicians. Whilst existing staff work onsite, it may be possible for some of the successful candidate’s work to be carried out from home as agreed in advance. However, working hours may also include occasional unsocial hours and some weekend and evening work as required in a school environment. The nature of this position also requires the flexibility to be “on call” if a critical problem occurs as the School depends on the smooth running of its systems.
You will have
- The ability to combine strategic thinking and planning with practical implementation
- The ability to work on your own initiative, to plan, prioritise and coordinate
- High standards of professionalism and integrity
- The ability to understand and adapt to the culture of an international independent school
- An appreciation of cultural sensitivities associated with working in the uae
- The commitment to keep up to date with developments in technology
- An appreciation of commercial pressures
- The ability to research problems and find solutions yourself
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
- A flexible approach and ability to adapt to changing situations
- A commitment to continuing professional development
- An understanding of information legislation, e.g. Data protection
- hold a Degree or equivalent in an appropriate discipline
- have demonstrable knowledge of system development best practice
- have IT/Programming certifications (desirable)
- have experience of working in an educational environment (desirable)
- have a proven track record in project management (desirable)
- Programming Skills and Software experience
- At least one Object-Oriented programming language (Python, PHP, Ruby, C++, C#)
- At least one rapid development framework (Django or Laravel preferred)
- CentOS Linux (or equivalent)
- Git or Subversion
- HTML / CSS
- MS SQL Server
- Microsoft Reporting Services
- Power BI
- Azure / Google Cloud Platform / AWS
- Window PowerShell
- Apache / Tomcat / IIS
- iSAMS MIS
- Firefly VLE
- Google G Suite
- WCBS PassFinance
About the Company
Based on the community and family-oriented ethos of Cranleigh School, one of England’s leading independent schools founded in 1865, Cranleigh Abu Dhabi was opened on Saadiyat Island in September 2014. We seek to provide a truly transforming British international education for children from FS1 to Year 13, in which intellectual, artistic, sporting, spiritual and social development is at the heart.
In addition to the broad academic curriculum which puts emphasis on the individual, the daily routine offers a wealth of opportunities which allow students to explore their full range of talents in visual and performing arts, music and sport, as well as across a broad range of co-curricular activities.
We were named New British International School of the Year 2017 in the BIS Awards, and were shortlisted for International School of the Year in the Tes Independent Schools Awards 2018.