Job description / Role
At Hyatt, we believe our guests select Hyatt because of our caring and attentive associates who are focused on providing efficient service and meaningful experiences to each every guest. Hyatt is a place where high expectations aren't just met-they're exceeded. It's a place of outstanding rewards, where talent opens doors to exciting challenges in the hospitality industry. It's a place where career opportunities are as unlimited as your imagination. Discover your place to shine in our warm, respectful, and inclusive culture.
Our Hyatt Culture is represented by our mission, values, and goals through: Innovative, Respect, Service-Oriented and Inclusion. Innovative, Hyatt is forward thinking and passionate as we seek new ways to advance in the hospitality industry. Respect, Hyatt associates are inspired by the team's spirit and camaraderie given to one another. Service-Oriented, Hyatt is customer focused by providing authentic hospitality in every way every time. Diversity and Inclusion, Diversity is an integral part of who we are and what we represent.
The goal of the Sous Chef is to manage a specific department and work with the Executive Chef to create, implement and maintain quality standards. In some instances the Sous Chef will be expected to be responsible for the entire operation in the absence of the Executive Sous Chef and/or Executive Chef. The ideal Sous Chef will accomplish their tasks by monitoring the daily functions of the culinary department, including providing support and guidance to the culinary team, ending in a positive guest experience.
- Support senior leadership by developing and assuming basic management responsibilities
- Assume the role of liaison between all departments within the culinary division and all other hotel departments
- Supervise the preparation and cooking of various food items
- Develop and implement creative menu items that adhere to Hyatt brand standards
- Plan, coordinate & implement special events and holiday functions
- Manage hourly kitchen employees through scheduling, payroll, training, coaching, evaluating and hiring
- May manage other key culinary leadership rolls including supervisor and other less senior Sous Chefs
- Lead and coach the team towards achieving exceptional guest service and employee satisfaction results
- Monitor food production, ordering, cost, and quality and consistency on a daily basis
- Ensure proper safety and sanitation of all kitchen facilities and equipment
- In-depth skills and knowledge of all kitchen operations
- Possess strong leadership, communication, organization and relationship skills
- Experience with training, basic financial management and customer service
- Proficient in general computer knowledge
- A true desire to exceed guest expectations in a fast paced customer service environment
- Capable of producing a consistent product in a timely manner
- Strong training and communication skills
- Culinary education and/or on the job training, hotel experience preferred
- Geographic and schedule flexibility preferred
About the Company
Hyatt was founded by Jay Pritzker in 1957 when he purchased the Hyatt House motel adjacent to the Los Angeles International Airport. Over the following decade, Jay Pritzker and his brother, Donald Pritzker, working together with other Pritzker family business interests, grew the company into a North American management and hotel ownership company, which became a public company in 1962. In 1968, Hyatt International was formed and subsequently became a separate public company. Hyatt Corporation and Hyatt International Corporation were taken private by the Pritzker family business interests in 1979 and 1982, respectively. On December 31, 2004, substantially all of the hospitality assets owned by Pritzker family business interests, including Hyatt Corporation and Hyatt International Corporation, were consolidated under a single entity, now Hyatt Hotels Corporation.