Job description / Role
About the Role
- Assist teachers in their work as directed. Teaching assistants will be asked to assist with a range of tasks on a regular basis.
- Have the authority to supervise small groups of children or whole classes of children in an emergency situation, or when specifically requested to do so by the Principal or Senior Management Team. Teaching assistants are fully insured to supervise groups of children inside and outside the classrooms
- Embrace and encourage the ethos and standards of excellence as defined in the GEMS Core Values.
- Assist the teacher with reading related activities.
- Run small group activities inside or outside the classroom as directed by the teacher.
- Prepare and tidy up classroom activities. Mount work displays and assist with preparation of displays.
- Photocopy documents and assist with preparation of worksheets etc as requested.
- Perform other duties as requested by direct & dotted reporting line managers / supervisors.
- Responsible for covering class for short periods of time in emergency situations.
- Tidy and rearrange stock cupboards and distribute new stock.
- Take children to toilet and change/clean them when necessary.
- Develop familiarity with relevant aspects of the curriculum eg literacy, numeracy and Phonetics.
- Ensure the GEMS policies, procedures, and codes of conduct are followed at all times.
- Initiate effort and energy beyond the typical work day, where the tasks require additional commitment.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required.
- Ensure tact, confidentiality and discretion at all times. Maintain confidential information and ensure information pertaining to students and the school is not shared or discussed without the approval of the teacher or senior management team.
- Excellent level of general education especially in Maths and English
- Strong communication skills with excellent standard of written and spoken English. ICT skills desirable. Able to handle a range of tasks, work under pressure and relate well to children and colleagues
- Previous experience as a teaching assistant or working with children preferred
About the Company
GEMS Education is a pioneering education company with an international network of award winning K-12 schools. Over the past 55 years GEMS has grown from one school to being a truly global company with one incredible mission â€“ to make quality education available to every student. Over 20,000 education professionals unlock the potential of over 250,000 students across 14 countries each and every day, preparing children of all ages for real world success.