Job description / Role
The Technology Transfer Officer (TTO) promotes university-wide innovation relationships and entrepreneurship for faculty and staff and the commercialization of their efforts
The TTO has responsibility for
• Oversight and development of partnerships internal to the University and externally with other academic institutions, industry, investors, non-profits, and government entities.
• Oversight of the technology transfer operations including managing technology transfer procedures, reporting requirements, forms, marketing briefs, and website.
• Manage all aspects of university intellectual property (IP) developed by faculty including faculty disclosures, IP tracking database, patent, copyright and trademark applications, managing patents and license agreements, and working with legal counsel within and external to the university.
• The TTO works with professionals in patent analysis and venture creation to identify optimum pathways to commercialization including start-up companies.
• The TTO is responsible for education and outreach to the internal campus community and external stakeholders and investors in support faculty, staff, and alumni in technology innovations.
• The TTO will work with the Associate Provost for Research and other relevant departments to develop short-range and long-range strategic plans for external partnerships in support of entrepreneurship and innovation.
• TTO is responsible for technology transfer and associated commercialization negotiations, agreements and contracts, and for the development of commercialization and innovation collaborations with external partners and across multiple university units.
• Master's degree or equivalent in business, public administration, science, or engineering
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
• Strong project management, organizational, and leadership skills with the ability to handle multiple, complex tasks and projects concurrently
• Demonstrated collaboration with faculty, graduate students, and administrators to advance a culture of research and innovation
• Success in facilitating interdisciplinary research and developing internal and external partnerships.
• Ability to work effectively with a broad range of constituents including faculty, staff, attorneys, sponsors, and industry representatives.
• Five years' experience and proven track record in promoting technology transfer and innovation
• Technology commercialization experiences such as an entrepreneurial leadership role in a startup or small business and experience establishing successful relationships with venture capitalists, angel investors, and entrepreneurs
• Experience in higher education administration and supervision of professional staff
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.