Job description / Role
Every day, around the world, people reach for Unilever products. Our brands are trusted everywhere and, by listening to the people who buy them, we've grown into one of the world's most successful consumer goods companies. In fact, 150 million times a day, someone somewhere chooses a Unilever product.
Look in your fridge, or on the bathroom shelf, and you're bound to see one of our well-known brands. We create, market and distribute the products that people choose to feed their families and keep themselves and their homes clean and fresh.
Our Corporate Strategy aims to double the size of our business while reducing our environmental impact by 2020. As a result, in the months and years to come, we envisage many opportunities for our staff to progress and gain vital experience. It's never been such an exciting time to join the Unilever team.
- Line Technical operators (Full Technical Operator Curriculum)  -
- Supply Chain, Manufacturing
- Work Level
Curriculum for Technical Operator and Skills Profile
- Dubai Personal Care Factory -PC Liquid factory -Dubai
Main Job Purpose:
The range of Technical Operator roles varies between categories and technologies, but generally sits within the Filling, Forklift and Material Transfer, Mixer, Packing, Reporting, Shaping and Water Machinery Job Families. The Technical Operator is responsible for the operation, maintenance, improvement and repair of equipment to support the delivery of operational KPIs (Productivity, Quality, Safety, Health and Environment, Cost, Delivery, Morale, Innovation and Sustainability (PQSCDMIS)).
The Technical Operator should master the operation of a series of machines/processes in at least two areas of the factory in order to provide factory resilience. Supported by the core skills to work within an autonomous team the Technical Operator will diligently follow the established standards of production delivery and drive continuous improvement . Safety, quality and eco-efficiency are the hallmarks of theTechnical Operator, which complement an enhanced ability to analyse, problem solve and coach others.
The Technical Operator will have a basic understanding of key cost drivers in the Sourcing Unit and will grow this in line with her/his wider project management skills.
Key Skills and Responsibilities:
- Technical - Knowledge and application of technical skills to Operate, Maintain, Improve and Repair (OMIR) equipment. This allows production targets to be met safely, at the right level of quality and on time. Full Technical Operator status is dependent on a high level of mechanical competence as defined by the skills profile.
• Understand the principles of mechanism and motion and be able to conduct changeovers, basic repairs and adjustments (eg Cams, slides, bearings, belts and pulleys). Utilise appropriate lubrication regimes.
• Understanding of principles and application of pneumatics in the sourcing unit; able to conduct fault finding and basic repair.
• Monitor and evaluate the condition of equipment , machinery and components through the use of instrumentation and other diagnostic techniques. Liaises with technicians to eliminate sources of contamination.
- Safety - Utilise all appropriate safety and environmental procedures relating to the Sourcing Unit and allocated equipment to ensure a safe working environment for the whole team. Understand the legal responsibility placed upon individuals.
- Work Place Hazards - Full knowledge of the workplace and hazards within it. Utilise all appropriate safety and environmental procedures for people, processes, materials, products and equipment relevant to the task. Ensure GHK of the concerned area to eliminate risk of creation of hazards
- Environment - Reduce environmental impacts and costs associated with utilities, chemicals and product and operational wastes through maximizing eco-efficient operation.
- Quality - Monitors quality against set standards and reports any product and packaging faults. Detects process abnormalities quickly and takes emergency action to prevent them.
- Decision Making - Identifies repeated problems with production and repeated causes of breakdowns and suggests how to solve these. Actively contributes to mechanical and continuous improvements. Makes decisions to minimize production loss e.g mechanical improvements to reduce waste. Makes decisions to support effective team working eg arranging cover and managing training.
- Continuous Improvement - Use performance measures to identify and prioritise losses in production area. Apply rigorous Cost Deployment and the Zero loss concept to eliminate losses.
- Problem Solving - Identifies, prioritises and addresses problems using appropriate tools and techniques that eliminate recurrence. Capable and confident of using Kaizen and other improvement tools.
- Leadership - Promote the development of a highly effective and autonomous team through strong communication, leading by example and effective problem solving and conflict management. Maintains focus on goals and targets.
- Coaching - Champion specific skills within the semi autonomous and autonomous team and coach them to others in order to drive excellence.
- Business Awareness - Understanding of the need to meet changing demands and the role of marketing and product innovation in growing the business and increasing the company's share.
- Administration - Collaborate with colleagues to arrange shift and break cover, induct new employees and address performance shortfalls to ensure that team resources can meet operational requirements.
- Must be flexible within pattern of shift work to accommodate factory shutdowns, training courses, to meet increase in demands etc.
- Engineering Drawings
- Basic Computer Knowledge
- FULL Technical Operator Level - Minimum ITI passed or Diploma in Engineering/Maintenance Engineering/2 Year Vocational training course
• Reading and Comprehension
• English Speaking and Writing
• Mathematics .
- Required to support report writing, data analysis, problem solving, mechanical calculations, leadership and coaching skills.
- 5 to 7 years Hands on Experience on operation and maintenance of Fully Automatic High speed filling , labelling, cartoning ,wrapping machines ,case erectors ,case packers and palletizer
Experience in Personal care lines preferred
- Core Engineering Skills - Background in Maintenance, Bench fitting and/or machining to operate at Full Technical Operator Level
- Experience in PLC, Line integration and SCADA operations.
- Experience of working as part of an extended team within the manufacturing sector.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- TPM/WCM knowledge and problem solving abilities, Exposure to FI and AM pillar
Preferred / Desirable:
- Experience of manufacturing in a HPC, Fast Moving Consumer Goods Company.
- Experience as a team member within a project Management team with an awareness of project management tools and techniques.
- Should be able to lead small team to Basic operators
- Manufacturing Manager
- First Line Manager
- Technical Operators (Full, Developing and Entry)
- Technicians (Multi-Skill)
- Site SHE and Quality Manager
- HR Manager
- ManEX Manager and Coordinator
- Skills Trainer and Skills Coordinator
- Machine and Basic Operators
This role is relevant to our traditional factory structures, but is central to our semi-autonomous and autonomous structures going forward; see HR for Factories Handbook for details.
About the Company
Unilever is one of the leading FMCG company with 400 brands spanning 14 categories of home, personal care and foods products, no other company touches so many people's lives in so many different ways.
Our brand portfolio has made us leaders in every field in which we work. It ranges from much-loved world favourites including Lipton, Knorr, Dove and Omo, to trusted local brands such as Blue Band and Suave.
From comforting soups to warm a winter's day, to sensuous soaps that make you feel fabulous, our products help people get more out of life.
We're constantly enhancing our brands to deliver more intense, rewarding product experiences. We invest €1 billion every year in cutting edge research and development, and have five laboratories around the world that explore new thinking and techniques to help develop our products.