Job description / Role
About the Role
As the Vice president of Data Governance you are directly reporting to the CDAO and part of the SLT delivering the data vision across GEMS group. You will have responsibility for improving the quality and management of data and information assets; including, creating and implementing policies, processes, standards and best practices across the business.
- Data governance strategy: Define the organization's data governance short/medium and long term strategy and execution roadmap aligned to the overarching data transformation vision.
- Define and drive adoption of data governance framework: Design and implement a data governance framework that outlines the roles, responsibilities, and processes related to full life cycle management of data. This includes defining data ownership, stewardship, custodianship and accountability across the organization.
- Data Governance execution: This involves defining data governance policies, procedures, and frameworks that align with the organization's goals and objectives. In strong partnership with VP of Data Management, this role shares responsibilities to drive ground level adoption of data standards, policies, roles and responsibilities setup as part of a new operating model.
- Oversees data stewardship activities, including data profiling, data cataloging, and data lineage in partnership
- Establish data lifecycle management practices, ensuring appropriate data acquisition, storage, usage, and disposal procedures.
- Assess data-related risks and develops risk mitigation strategies and partner with CRO/CISO team(s) to drive joint execution.
- Ensure data quality and integrity: In partnership with VP of data management and IT colleagues own the implementation of data quality standards and processes to ensure data accuracy, consistency, completeness, and reliability. Establish data quality metrics, monitor data quality issues, and coordinate remediation efforts when necessary.
- Establish data policies and standards: In partnership with VP of data management develops and maintains data policies, standards, and guidelines for data management, data classification, data retention, and data sharing. Ensure that data-related policies align with the organization's overall governance framework.
- Setup of appropriate Governance bodies: Collaborates with cross-functional teams, including IT, legal, compliance, and business units, to drive data governance initiatives. They facilitate communication, promote awareness, and provide guidance on data governance best practices.
- Team Management: Leading and managing a team of data governance professionals, including data stewards, data analysts and ops data staff. Providing guidance, mentorship, and support to the team members and ensuring their professional growth.
- Data culture: Owns definition, socialization and adoption of right data culture to uplift data maturity across different lines of businesses. Collaborate with cross functional teams to develop data literacy/skills training initiatives and create awareness about the importance of data governance and data management.
Masters or Bachelor's Degree from a reputed University preferably in IT discipline
Minimum 15+ years industry experience of predominantly working in data intensive roles - delivering data management and governance policies, solutions, processes and operating models.
Job-Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- 5 Years working experience as Director or head of data governance/quality or metadata - implementing end to end data governance solutions, processes, operating model and culture.
- Very strong social and influencing skills to drive cultural changes
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills with proven ability to establish and cultivate relationships across organization boundaries
- Strong knowledge and implementation experience of data governance, metadata, quality and lineage tools etc
- Knowledge of RDBMS, data modeling, ETL, RDM/MDM and data warehousing etc.
About the Company
GEMS Education is a pioneering education company with an international network of award winning K-12 schools. Over the past 55 years GEMS has grown from one school to being a truly global company with one incredible mission â€“ to make quality education available to every student. Over 20,000 education professionals unlock the potential of over 250,000 students across 14 countries each and every day, preparing children of all ages for real world success.