Job description / Role
Facilitate safe, secure and efficient operations of all Port & its waterways and to lead and direct ports unit to internationally recognized standards. To facilitate growth within the business unit, locally, regionally and internationally.
- Within given parameters, plan for, and achieve Business Unit performance and cost control objectives commensurate with the required profit contribution and as agreed with Executive Management.
- To implement, direct and administer general policies established by AD Ports, develop and lead the Business Unit annual and mid to long term (business) plans, plan, develop and approve specific operational policies, programs, procedures and methods in line with AD Ports general policies.
- Coordinate development of operating and capital budgets according to the budget calendar; monitor monthly and other financial statements for all business lines; take effective corrective action as required.
- Define and agree performance and cost control objectives. Compile, enact and regularly review the business plan, taking corrective action when necessary to achieve stated objectives.
- To ensure there is adequate resources - skilled manpower and equipment to sufficiently meet daily operations
- Develop, drive, maintain, and disseminate a basic management philosophy to guide all business units staff towards continuous improvement, optimal operating results, employee morale and customer satisfaction.
- Take the Leadership role in the establishment of performance indicators for all operations department functions and monitor performance against operating goals.
- To plan the implementation of AD Ports safety & security standards within all Ports and ensure implementation of standard work practices and compliance with HSE policy. Ensure all accidents occurring within the business units are investigated in accordance to defined safety procedures.
- Continually develop and maintain management information and control systems to monitor the Business Unitâs performance against the customer SLAs
- To ensure the direction and control of the Business Units operational resources and activities to achieve performance and profit objectives as planned.
- Continually strive to improve and implement methods of working to increase safety, profitability and services.
- Develop and maintain a Company and workforce relationship that is mutually beneficial and cohesive. Ensure that the performance capabilities of the Business Units workforce meet operational requirements.
Objectives and Role Profile
- Maintain own working knowledge of the prevailing HR agreements and procedures, including Disciplinary Procedures (both internal and external to the Business Unit), as they affect the Business Unit. In conjunction with Business Unit subordinate management, operate/implement the same in keeping with performance requirements of the business.
- With the assistance of the appropriate department, investigate and resolve any Business Unit disputes or labour dissatisfactions as they arise. Be involved in other negotiations, procedures and agreements as directed. Keep colleagues advised on all significant HR developments within the Division.
- Drive the development of training plans for Business Unit personnel as specified. Personally contribute to any training activities as required.
- Conduct staff performance reviews, both formal and informal, for Business Unit personnel. Seek to identify and prepare successors to cover key Business Unit management & supervisory positions involving the Executive Management in doing so.
Key Tasks and Performance Indicators
- Be fully conversant with international shipping & port conventions adopted by UAE and ensure they are complied with;
- Ensure that all applicable laws and regulations set by the Federal Government, Abu Dhabi Government, Department of Transport and AD Ports are applied, and enforced.
- Co-ordinate and co-operate closely with Port Khalifa stakeholders (DOT, Police, CICPA, Environmental agencies etc.) concessionaires, and other relevant involved.
- Other tasks as may be allocated from time to time by the EVP Ports.
- Holder of a Business Administration or diploma in Port Management and Operations or advanced study in logistics is desirable particularly with a specializations in Ports Operations
- Minimum 15 - 20 years in ports/terminals business (Gen Cargo and Container Terminals) with a minimum 10 years in senior operations management roles.
- Ports Industry, must have General Cargo as well as Container Terminal experience
- Must be able to communicate in English
- Arabic desirable and an advantage
About the Company
As a master developer of ports, we at Abu Dhabi Ports are firmly focused on the big picture – diversification of the UAE economy. Our objective is to act as a catalyst for development and trade in the emirate, allowing our customers and stakeholders to benefit from the highest levels of service, marked by excellence and transparency.
Today, we are competing with the best ports and industrial zones in the world having earned a reputation for exceptional, value-added services.