Gain the creative and professional tools you'll need for a career in the dynamic publishing sector.
About this course:
You will acquire the professional toolkit to analyse different audiences and reader contexts. You will master how content is commissioned, designed, produced, marketed and delivered across different media including books, magazines, tablets, e-readers and social media environments. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with international teams, the wider UAL community and connect with leading industry players.
Five reasons to apply:
- Using our excellent facilities you can commission and create physical and digital published products, books and magazines - this hands-on practical experience is fantastic for building confidence in technical competence, decision-making and project management.
- You will be able to connect the academic and creative commercial environments as you participate in live industry projects, events, prototype testing and research, and extend your exposure to and experience working with industry.
- Embedded throughout the course are the twin concepts of creativity and enterprise - as you build an holistic understanding of the industry, there is emphasis on anticipating audiences and developing creative publishing projects while understanding the commercial application of them.
- A strong experimental ethos around print and digital means you can take new ideas forward into the industry.
- Flexible choices for your assignments and projects to allow you to direct your postgraduate experience as you want- allowing you to develop your own unique skills set and ensuring flexibility to fit alongside your evolving professional and creative careers.
- LCC provides a unique creative environment to experiment and connect with other creative people such as animators, interactive designers or illustrators to bring new insights and imaginative processes to publishing - this is a developing aspect of the publishing industry and links you into wider creative industries.
- The next Open Evening for this course will be announced soon.
Who should take this course
MA in Publishing at the London College of Communication combines theoretical and practical approaches to publishing media. Forward thinking, creative and entrepreneurial, this course will give you hands-on experience of multi-platform publishing. With the opportunity to specialize in magazine or book publishing you will nevertheless be introduced to concepts across both media throughout the course and explore how publishing is changing and evolving in the international arena. With choices of assessments, you can choose your journey through the course with options for a major project that suits your interests. Practical live projects and events, collaborations with other creative people, engagement with industry networks and participation in professional activities are all central to the course as you develop unique and flexible skills set for your future careers.
Throughout the course, there is a variety of teaching and learning environments including group work on practical publishing projects, simulations, hackdays, seminars and individual research projects. You will be involved in a co-creation project working on our annual Publishing Innovation Conference which is an ideal opportunity to network. You will also undertake live projects with industry & recently we have worked with the Penguin Random House and the Design Museum. You will also have access to specialist digital publishing platforms to enable you to build your own projects and portfolio. You will gain new perspectives on the global marketplace for publishing, by visiting another country for one week at the international residential summer school. Specialist staff who all have experience in the industry will help you to develop a professional approach to publishing.
Assessment is based on written reports and group presentations underpinned by theoretical and practical team projects. The final phase for the MA is a choice of a dissertation, an artefact or prototype with related research report or a business proposal.
Fees & Funding:
Home / EU fee
About Course Provider
University of the Arts London (UAL) is Europe’s largest specialist art and design university. Its unique creative community is made up of six renowned Colleges, each with its own world-class reputation: Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts, London College of Communication, London College of Fashion and Wimbledon College of Arts.
UAL is the world’s sixth best University for Art and Design in the QS World University Rankings 2018. Offering an extensive range of courses in art, design, fashion, communication and performing arts, UAL is the main talent pipeline to the UK’s creative industries.
Home to a diverse community of over 18,000 students from 129 countries, UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers. Our graduates can be found in every part and at every level of the creative and cultural sectors, from heads of global business to self-employed practitioners, and on shortlists for awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
Building on UAL’s association with some of the most original thinkers in the arts, students and staff are inspired to challenge convention, generate new ideas and nurture talent. Home to award-winning staff and students for more than a century, UAL’s Colleges are at the forefront of learning, creativity and practice in their specialist subjects. This close-knit College structure offers opportunities for learning and enquiry for people at all stages of their creative development.
How to enroll?
Provide us with your contact details, course provider will get back to you.