The Department of Politics and International Studies offers seven linked masters programmes in politics and the international politics of Asia and Africa.
The MSc African Politics is a regional specialist MSc, aiming to provide students with a detailed specialist understanding of both domestic and international politics (and of the implications of one for the other) in Africa. At Masters level there is particular emphasis on seminar work.
Students make full-scale presentations for each unit that they take, and are expected to write substantial papers that often require significant independent work.
- One calendar year (full-time); Two or three years (part-time, daytime only) Students usually complete their core modules in Year 1, and their option modules and dissertation in subsequent years.
- Fees 2019/20 UK/EU fees -
Who should take this course
Learn a language as part of this programme:
Degree programmes at SOAS - including this one - can include language courses in more than forty African and Asian languages. It is SOAS students' command of an African or Asian language which sets SOAS apart from other universities.
Students must take 180 credits comprised of 120 taught credits (including core and option modules) and a 60 credit dissertation:
- 15PPOC205 Government & Politics in Africa (core).
- THREE modules from B, C or D, with no more than 30 credits coming from List D, and no more than four x 15 credit modules.
- Dissertation on some aspect of African Politics (compulsory).
About Course Provider
Our mission is to inspire the next generation to develop ideas for a fairer and more sustainable world. We welcome the brightest minds from over 130 different countries, creating a community that is diverse, vibrant and multinational. From day one at our central London campus, our students are encouraged to challenge conventional views and think globally – and that’s one of the reasons why they develop careers that make a real difference. A SOAS student is typically passionate about their subject, opts to learn a second language, loves to learn, to travel, to be surprised; and is interested and engaged with the world around them.