Principal Professional/Senior Professional/Professional, Public Sector
Job description / Role
Job description: Principal Professional/Senior Professional/Professional, Public Sector
Acting as a project team leader, the recruited candidate will be responsible for preparation, appraisal, negotiation, and approval of investments projects in key areas of NDB operations as defined by the General Strategy, in particular: clean energy water and sanitation, transport, urban development and social infrastructure.
This position will focus on sovereign, sovereign guaranteed operations and operations with subnational governments without sovereign guarantee.
Specific responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Conduct appraisal of operations in technical, fiscal, financial, economic, institutional, implementation and fiduciary aspects.
• Lead the internal project approval process including drafting concept note and project document to the board (and other project related documents), interface with other departments and divisions in the Bank for their inputs (environmental and social, procurement, governance, legal, risk, treasury, strategy, research, etc.), peer review, negotiation with the borrower, approval of the project, the first disbursement of the project and handover of the project implementation to the Regional Offices and Centers.
• Provide technical inputs into the design of projects, incorporate sectorial, operational, and country lessons learned in the project preparation, and maximize NDB’s value addition throughout the processing stage.
• Build and develop sector knowledge, draft sector knowledge reports.
• Conduct missions for project preparation, appraisal, and negotiation of transaction documents.
• Advise clients on the preparation of the feasibilities studies, technical design, institutional capacity building with the focus on relevance, sustainability and problem-solving.
• Support the Regional Offices and Centers in project origination and supervision of implementation.
• Ensure compliance with all applicable policies, guidelines, systems and process
effectively for delivery of the lending and investment program in line with the Bank’s General Strategy.
• Keep abreast of the market developments, trends, opportunities and challenges in
infrastructure landscape and long term financing and provide inputs to relevant
stakeholders on operations strategy, policies, budgets, business plan, etc.
• Lead team(s) (as and when required) in evaluating sovereign projects; coach and develop other staff members.
• Other duties and responsibilities assigned from time to time.
• For Professional level: minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in financial institutions, consulting companies or research center's working in the areas of NDB operations, out of which at least 3 years’ experience in multilateral development banks on positions focused on project appraisal.
• For Senior Professional level: minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience in financial institutions, consulting companies or research centres working in the areas of NDB operations, out of which at least 5 years’ experience in multilateral development banks on positions focused on project appraisal.
• For Principal Professional level: minimum 9 years of relevant professional experience in financial institutions, consulting companies or research centres working in the areas of NDB operations, out of which at least 7 years’ experience in multilateral development banks on positions focused on project appraisal.
• Proven expertise in project financing and implementing in one or several sectors: water, waste and sanitation; transport; urban development, environment protection and energy efficiency; health and education.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent knowledge of economic analysis of investment projects
• Good knowledge of financial analysis of companies and subnational governments
• Strong skills in MS Excel.
• Master’s Degree or equivalent in Engineering or a relevant field from a reputed university.
About the Company
The New Development Bank (NDB) is a multilateral development bank (MDB) established by Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) with the objective of financing infrastructure and sustainable development projects in BRICS and other emerging economies and developing countries. NDB’s work complements the efforts of multilateral and regional financial institutions, toward global growth and development.
Our work is centered around maximizing the impact of development in a fast, ﬂexible and eﬃcient manner. To catalyze the kind of development we envisage, we are always keen to listen, learn and collaborate with other MDBs, governments, ﬁnancial institutions and social organizations.
To fulfill its purpose, the Bank supports public or private projects through loans, guarantees, equity participation and other financial instruments.
Our headquarters is in Shanghai, China. The geographic distribution of NDB’s operations is becoming increasingly balanced as the Bank develops its capacity to identify and prepare projects in all member countries. The first regional office of NDB – the Africa Regional Centre (ARC) – was opened in Johannesburg, South Africa, in August 2017. In July 2019, NDB began to build the Americas Regional Office team, based in São Paulo, Brazil, with a sub-office in Brasília. NDB and the Government of Russia signed the Agreement on the Hosting of the NDB Eurasian Regional Centre in Moscow, Russia on the sidelines of the 11th BRICS Summit in Brasília in November 2019.