Job description / Role
Careem is the No1 tech company in the Middle East and have opened our newest engineering centre in Berlin (WeWork Sony Centre).
Founded in 2012 by former entrepreneurs and McKinsey alums, Careem is the MENA regions leading ride-hailing service and newest Tech Unicorn. With 30% monthly growth, we now operate in 80+ cities across 12+ countries and host over 6million users. With our recent Series D funding success, we are positioned on the cusp of significant scale and well on target to deliver our goal of creating one million jobs in the region by 2018.
You will be responsible for the software architecture, design and development of the software systems that make-up the Careem engine. These large scale, distributed systems handle everything from user requests to payment processing.
This means an opportunity to work on virtually any type of computer science and software engineering problem, particularly in the areas of large scale distributed systems, user interfaces and big data.
Key responsibilities include:
- Execute full software development lifecycle
- Write clean, reusable, testable, and maintainable code
- Integrate components into a fully functional & validated system
- Develop and implement software verification and quality assurance procedures
- Document designs and review code
- Serve as (or grow into) a subject matter expert
- Continuously strive for higher quality and productivity
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
- Strong skills in object-oriented design, data-structures and algorithms
- Proficiency in at least one object-oriented programming language (must love coding!)
- Experience in multi-tiered distributed systems, web services, APIs, and relational & NoSQL databases
- Fluency with software engineering tools
- Ability to: effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions; deal with loosely defined problems and fast changing requirements & think abstractly
- Passionate about learning new technologies and working on a product of massive scale and impact
Nice to have:
- Proficiency in one or more of the following:
- Java and associated server-side technologies
- Microservice Architecture
- Experience with cloud-centric application development and deployment (AWS)
- Bachelors or higher degree in Computer Science or related disciplines
- Competitive salary and equity shares
- 25 working days annual leave
- Entrepreneurial working environment
- Flexible working arrangements
- Mentorship and career growth
About the Company
We are a brand that aims to simplify people's lives by revolutionizing the transportation industry. A brand that strives to inspire everyone it interacts with, and supports every single person who dares to believe. #BeCareem
Careem is the MENA region's leading ride-hailing service and newest Tech Unicorn. With 30% monthly growth, we now operate in 50+ cities across 11 countries and host over 6 million users. With our recent Series D funding success, we are positioned on the cusp of significant scale and well on target to deliver our goal of creating one million jobs in the region by 2018.