Job description / Role
• Installs, troubleshoots, tests, splices, repairs, and maintains telephone equipment and general network equipment, customer premise equipment, Video/CATV/DBS, fiber optic/copper facilities and/or other TDS products for new and existing customers. Installs, configures, maintains, and repairs PBX, Key Systems, Centrex Systems, business systems, fiber terminals, POTS, ISDN, DSL, T-1s, and/or DS3s (carriers, paging & wireless). Identifies location of defective cable using various test equipment and repairs buried, aerial and/or customer cable. Locates cable and fiber in response to customer requests and/or construction needs. Pole climbing and operating construction equipment is required. Locates, identifies and marks company underground and buried facilities to prevent facilities from being damaged. Keeps orderly log of all locate requests in our exchange area. Performs cable fault acceptance tests on newly constructed facilities.
• Installs, troubleshoots, tests, repairs, and maintains central office equipment including switch, operating software, and/or other auxiliary equipment. Maintains back-ups to the switch, voicemail, fiber optic terminals, etc. Updates manuals and provides functional support, answering questions about features and functions.
• Provides advanced troubleshooting support techniques and corrections. Responds to 'trouble' dispatches.
• Provides high level support for enhancing and maintaining record systems (cross connects, line groups, network elements, etc).
• Provides excellent customer service. Proactively educates and sells TDS products and services to customers.
• Performs project management for the installation of systems and performs related functions as requested by supervisor.
• Completes all related paperwork in a timely manner such as forms, timesheets, material usage, and special data requests. May require working on and leading project teams. Stocks vehicle and notifies appropriate person when supplies and materials are low.
• Promotes safety and accident prevention as day-to-day part of the normal job functions and attend safety meetings as required. Follows safety policies and procedures, applies safety training and follows Department of Transportation requirements as they apply to the job. Responsible for routine vehicle maintenance & adherence to TDS Vehicle Safety Policy.
• Utilizes MS Office Suite, Trouble/Repair/Dispatch Systems, Plant Record Systems, and other TDS applications to ensure accurate facility assignment and verification. Utilizes staking sheets and cut sheets. Assigns facilities and updates system records and maps.
• Maintains inventory including purchasing, receiving, stocking, and tracks regulated and non-regulated equipment and materials. Provides equipment maintenance, operating instructions, and diagnostics as needed.
• Requires on-call/standby responsibilities. On-call requires carrying a pager and/or cell phone, being available to report to work (24 hours a day) and remain in a limited geographic area.
Benefits: As a part of your total compensation, TDS provides a comprehensive, competitive benefit package. The benefit plans address both the immediate and long term needs that you and your family may have.
Qualifications Required Qualifications:
• Associate degree (or higher) with 2+ years basic technical telecommunications experience -OR- 4+ years technical experience with telecommunications products and/or services
• 6+ months of basic fiber optic and/or copper cable splicing and repair, installation and repair or switch training
• Must have and maintain a valid driver's license.
• Requires an understanding of telecommunication products and services: Inside Wiring/ Cable, Internet/Intranet, Bonding & Grounding, Data & Computers/Transmission Concepts, Fiber Optic Transmission, Static Sensitive Equipment, Color Codes, Structured Wiring, Video/CATV/DBS Installation, Inventory Systems, Cable Locating, Battery Maintenance, Key Systems/PBX, Centrex, Switch Maintenance, Voicemail, Special Circuits, Fiber Terminals, Subscriber CXR Terminals, T-1s, ISPs, DSL, ISDN Voice & Data, Testing & Certifying Loops To Support Data, Voice, and/or Video, IP Telephony Systems/Applications, DSA, DSLAM/RAM, Connecting company testing, WAN/LAN/Data Networks, Switch Installations & Additions and/or ATM Switches and Networks.
• Practical knowledge/experience with computer applications including (but not limited to): Databases, Trouble/Repair/Dispatch Systems, Plant Record Systems, MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Explorer, and CD-ROMs.
• Ability to work and make decisions independently with little or no supervision.
• Demonstrated customer service and sales skills, as well as effective communications skills (verbal and written) for interaction with internal and external customers.
• Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
• Physical requirements may vary based on company needs: Operation of heavy construction machinery, such as bucket truck, drop plow, and backhoe. Ability to dig, lift and climb.
• Requires being available for on-call/standby responsibilities and may require occasional travel.
• Must be willing to work overtime as needed. May be required to work various/swing shifts as business needs dictate.
• Must have and maintain a valid driver's license. Commercial Driver's License (CDL) may be required.
• Must be able to operate vehicles with manual transmissions.
About the Company
Dragon Recruiting is a leading international staffing and recruitment company, head-quartered in London, with further offices all over the globe. Our clients range from numerous well known UK and international businesses. We also represent a wide range of less well known clients - helping them to find staff for their businesses around the world.
As an international recruitment agency, our clients benefit from a vast network of human resource specialists who attract, cultivate and connect organisations to talent in both global and local markets. Our unrivalled
scope of services and global reach allow us to share candidates and roles across borders. With greater coverage and tools, we can ensure our clients and candidates all get the best outcome for their recruitment needs.
With experience of over 3 decades we are recruiting more than 10,000 workers annually to and from the UK, USA and the Middle East and several other Asian countries. We specialize in the placement of candidates in permanent, contract, temporary and interim positions with clients around the world.