Assistant/Associate Professor in Oral Pathology, Medicine and Surgery
Job description / Role
The College of Dentistry at the American University of Iraq Baghdad (AUIB) is pleased to invite qualified applicants for a full-time faculty position at the Assistant or Associate professor level.
The faculty member's duties will include didactic and clinical instruction of students and residents, scholarly activities, and service. Participation in the faculty practice is also expected. Candidates with teaching experience are preferred, and those with scholarly and research interests are encouraged.
This is an open rank position and could be categorized as Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Professor based on experience, and with the opportunity for academic promotion based upon demonstrated, ongoing excellence in education, research, clinical care, and community service.
• Teach pre-clinical/clinical courses in Dentistry, including serving as a course director.
• Assist in developing and teaching the curriculum of the College.
• Assist in developing and teaching continuing education and post-graduate programs to develop the advanced skills of practicing dentists.
• Apply a coherent teaching and learning strategy in the College.
• Assist in preparing and managing the annual budget of the College.
• Develop a research program in the College.
• Contribute to the College practice and training facilities and support an environment that facilitates research and scholarly activity.
Core Skills that successful candidate will have:
• Ability to analyze, interpret, and evaluate a broad range of rules and regulations to exercise good judgment in applying them to dental medicine.
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally, including public speaking.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees throughout the institution.
• Thorough knowledge of current management and leadership methods and best practices.
• Knowledge of professional standards, concepts, and practices related to supervision.
• Ability to take the initiative with daily work activities and collaborate to affect team performance positively.
• The ideal candidate for this position will be a detail-oriented, dedicated, and professional individual.
Experience, Skills, and Educational Requirements:
Candidates for this position must have:
• BDS, DDS, DMD, Ph.D., or highest professional qualification in Dentistry and graduate from an accredited dental school.
• Completion of an Advanced Education Program in Oral pathology, medicine and surgery (Certificate or Master's Degree)
• Evidence of academic and research activities in the field of oral pathology, oral surgery and implant dentistry.
• Demonstrated success in enhancing and advancing patient care, education, and research programs.
• Demonstrated success in securing private, corporate, and/or governmental support to advance the college's mission.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to listen and understand the needs of faculty, staff, and students; and the ability to build strong relationships with internal and external constituents.
• Solid understanding of dentistry clinical practice, procedures, and scheduling.
• Demonstrated accomplishments in research and scholarship.
• Operational understanding of American university educational systems.
• Preferred experience working and living in the Middle East
About the Company
AUIB is an American-style, nonprofit university located next to the Baghdad International Airport in Baghdad. This large-scale, multi-million dollar project is funded by Iraqi and U.S. donors, both public and private. The university opens for students on Jan. 17, 2021, with the College of Arts & Sciences, College of International Studies, and the College of Business. Eventually, there will be 10 colleges at the university, including a College of Medicine.