United Energy Pakistan (UEP)
Job description / Role
Purpose: To develop, implement and monitor geophysical data acquisition programs on oilfields and conduct all necessary tests and onsite studies of the physical properties of oilfield parameters to support well operations and reservoir visualization, appraisal and development decisions. Supervises the seismic data processing and final delivery of processed data.
Key responsibilities and deliverables:
Data Acquisition Programs
• Design and implement an adequate data acquisition programs on oilfields within Block 9 to ensure capturing and continuous monitoring of all relevant data (such as gravity, magnetic, electrical, and seismic) affecting the reservoirs and oil fields appraisals and decisions in Block 9.
• Assists the department’s management in the development of a field survey strategy and in the planning and development of geophysical survey programs involving on-going seismic, gravity and aeromagnetic data acquisition. Develops detailed contracts strategies, working in conjunction with the legal and procurement departments. Includes identifying promising survey areas in an explored field preparing justifications for individual survey programs using various risk assessment and benefit analysis techniques to support proposals and obtain management approval.
• Supervises and participates in all geophysical surveys conducted by external consultants. Establishes plans of action, determines processes to be used and quality control requirements; briefs third party Quality Control Contractor on the Company’s requirements and participates in briefings of the survey contractor.
Data Processing & Interpretation
• Merge the new 2D or 3D seismic data received from contractors in order to analyse and interpret the data to identify prospects.
• Perform test processing for appropriation of processing parameters and sequence. Check and approve the final products and reports prepared by contractors. Prepare seismic survey operational reports for approval and distribution to Management.
• Re-interprets existing seismic data as necessary, interprets new seismic data; produces time and time-depth converted sections and maps to be integrated with subsurface and production data to determine · both the structure, it's effects on current and future production operations. Evaluates processing sequence of existing data and recommends re-processing where necessary.
• Perform seismic attribute analyses, velocity analyses and synthetic seismogram analysis, and constructs geo-cellular models, and verify integrated static model.
• Perform volumetric reserves evaluation. Collect latest information on new technologies and methods and recommend application of such technologies/methods to G&G characterization and modelling activities.
• Develop a portfolio of prospects as potential locations for defining the strengths and weaknesses and risks involved in potential drilling locations per well in order to select a shortlist of prospects to make a commitment to drill.
Structure Maps & 3D Seismic
• Prepare structure maps for key horizons and the depth conversion to enable calculation of oil and gas volumes while assessing the risk of proven, probable and possible volumes of oil and gas in place.
• Conduct more detailed and expensive 3D seismic on the above territories/discoveries and repeat the above process to more accurately assess the potential of the territory with in Block 9.
• Define the locations of wells to address the issues of volumes of hydrocarbons to be recovered.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Geophysics or equivalent
• Minimum of 8 years of experience in the Oil & Gas industry, preferably in Geophysical Studies and data acquisition.
• Well data evaluation
• Knowledge of oilfield exploration practices and technologies
• Data interpretation
• Communication skills
• Project management skills
• Analytical skills
• Ability to make timely decisions
• Problem solving skills
About the Company
United Energy Pakistan (UEP) is Pakistan’s leading foreign exploration and production company. UEP is a subsidiary of the United Energy Group (UEG), an international energy company. UEG is listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and has operations in Pakistan, Iraq and Egypt.
UEP’s history dates back more than four decades, and the business has witnessed a change in ownership a number of times from UTP to ARCO and subsequently BP. In 2011, UEG acquired control of this asset from BP, ushering in a new era of growth for the company. Backed by UEG’s technical and financial support, UEP has emerged as the leading foreign producer and investor in Pakistan’s upstream oil and gas sector.
UEP’s parent company has also invested in the renewable energy sector. UEPW owns and operates a 99 MW wind energy project in the Jhimpir wind corridor of the Sindh province.