Job description / Role
On behalf of our client in the Financial Services sector, we seek to recruit a highly competent, motivated and professional individual to fill the position of Chief Executive Officer. The candidate should be able to fit into the role with a view to oversee the growth of the business with minimum disruptions.
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer will be responsible to provide strategic leadership in the management of the institution to ensure return on investment to shareholders. The position will provide overall coordination in the development and implementation of strategies, policies, and processes, coordination of the operations of the institution, ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws and provide leadership and guidance in matters related to credit management and credit portfolio control. The job holder is expected to demonstrate and embody the institution’s values and mission to create value for all stakeholders.
Key Duties and responsibilities
1. Lead in the development of overall strategies aligned to the Group Strategy together with the CEO and the Board to provide strategic direction to the business
2. Provide leadership on the development of the overall annual financial budgets for the business and ensure alignment of the budget to the strategic objectives for the success of the business
3. Provide direction and leadership towards the achievement of the institution's philosophy, mission, strategy as part of the entire Group
4. Accountable to the Board of Directors for the implementation of the institution’s strategic plan and ensure key milestones are identified and communicated
5. Oversee the integrity of all control systems and management processes including risk management to safeguard the reputation of the institution at all times
6. Provide leadership to the credit administration and internal credit risk review process within the institution, to ensure regulatory compliance and policy conformance
7. Lead engagement with the institution’s stakeholders to understand issues and develop relationships, in particular clients and customers, employees, governments and regulators, business partners, rating agencies, the media, special interest groups who have legitimate concerns or involvement and the communities in which the institution and the Group operates;
Key Qualifications and Experience:
The successful candidate must have at least twenty years’ experience of which at least five years must have been at senior management level in an active commercial environment or a large financial institution. S/he should have a Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or any other equivalent and relevant qualification from a recognized university.
The incumbent must be a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) holder with a valid membership to the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA) or similar qualifications from other recognized professional bodies.
1. The incumbent must be a strategic thinker with good commercial acumen and ability to identify economic opportunities in changing environment and capitalize on them
2. S/he must be conversant with current trends in consumer banking with a strong commercial orientation
3. The successful candidate must possess strong knowledge in budgeting and budgeting control experience
4. S/he must have strong knowledge of the banking industry and concepts
5. Must have strong understanding in customer, market and competitor needs
6. Must demonstrate strong knowledge of the banking regulatory requirements
1. The incumbent must demonstrate strong leadership and people management skills
2. Must be an able negotiator
3. Must be able to clearly communicate with fellow staff and key stakeholders
4. Must possess strong interpersonal skills
5. Must demonstrate agility and strong adaptability skills
6. Must possess emotional intelligence and manage emotions in a mature and composed manner as expected
About the Company
We are a leading institution in the Financial Services sector in the East African region.