Job description / Role
Atkins Africa is currently looking for an experienced MEP Engineer to form part of our Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) project team based in Kenya. The ideal candidate would be required to provide hands-on design and site monitoring input on projects and provide leadership to design teams as well as support in business development of the unit.tion, testing and commissioning, and authority approvals
- Carry out engineering design related to the area of academic qualification.
- Conduct Surveys and site investigations to gather field data and design information.
- Perform project management and coordination roles.
- Perform construction site supervision, contract administration and management of project issues.
- Coordinate the activities of the design and construction teams including multi disciplinary project inputs to ensure quality of work and timely delivery of projects.
- Prepare and manage project budgets and schedules.
- Prepare and manage project reports and documents.
- Prepare and administer project tender and contract documents.
- Liaise with external project team members including the Clients and attend meetings.
- Carry out Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Control (QC), implement and ensure that all QSSE systems are followed and implemented on projects.
- Attend and participate in interdisciplinarty coordination meetings.
- Ensure compliance with company policies / project management manual including HSE and QA
- Lead in compilation and improvement of sets of design guidelines and criteria for MEP discipline on projects.
- Marketing and business development of the MEP unit and the company in general in liaison with the relevant market lead.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent in a MEP related field
- Master of Science (Msc) in the relevant engineering discipline is preferred but not mandatory.
- Be a member of a relevant professional body or be accredited by a relevant body such as Engineers Board of Kenya, Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) or their equivalents.
- Minimum 15 years experience and preferably have experience similar to this role;
- A minimum of 5 years experience working in African Countries;
- Demonstrable track record in the delivery of large multi disciplinary projects, and in working closely with other disciplines including architects, quantity surveyors, project managers and other engineers in a building project context;
- Capable of reviewing and improving existing operations within an organisation through all the project phases (processes and procedures in both office and site), assessing both the strengths and weaknesses and assisting in compiling a bespoke set of process and procedures of all of the activities including but not limited to quality, progress, commercial matters, value, safety, design and construction.
- Good appreciation of computer aided design of MEP services including REVIT modelling and application of BIM in the design and information management processes.
- In-depth knowledge of project controls procedures.
- A “rounded profile”, comfortable with planning, analysis and managing process and commercial considerations. The successful candidate will also be able to mobilise people and teams and drive for a successful delivery through training/mentoring/shadowing and auditing of work processes.
- Effective in building good working relationships within complex structures both within projects, with clients and internally.
- Use of computers and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, and Ms Project
- Possess expertise in relevant engineering software and applications, such as REVIT.
- Engineering design, drawing preparation and checking skills.
- People skills including interpersonal, mentoring, motivating, negotiation, communication, delegation and control and presentation skills
- Knowledge of contract management and administration
About the Company
Atkins is one of the leading providers of professional, technology based consultancy and support services to the industry, commerce and governments in all of the worlds major economies. With over 17,000 staff operating in Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and the Americas, Atkins has a broad range of skills and resources and provides Clients with a comprehensive service throughout the entire life cycle of the projects in the built environment.
We aim to be the international first choice supplier of technical and integrated services. Shaped by our customers' needs, our vision is to:
- focus on quality
- seek world class design and excellence
- strive to add value
- be flexible to the evolving needs of a changing society
Atkins first carried out design and supervision commissions in the Gulf area in 1967. From its regional head office in Dubai, U.A.E. Atkins Middle East now employs over 2000 staff located in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Oman (Muscat ), Qatar (Doha) Bahrain (Manama), Kuwait (Kuwait City) and India (Bangalore).