Job description / Role
• Manages the Communications Department
• Drafts the annual budget of the department, ensures that such is followed by the Department operation and makes decision on its utilization
• Ensures appropriate allocation and distribution of work / responsibilities, delegates tasks and monitors progress of Communications activities
• Designs and leads the implementation of the department strategy, communicates KPIs and targets to the Department and cascades down the targets via specific individual targets in the performance management system
• Evaluates performance of Communications personnel and identifies improvement needs
• Consolidates reports of the Department and represents in management discussions and planning
• Makes final decision on all Department matters and problem solving requirements
• Final approver all Communications processes and ensures quality before transactions are finalized
• Ensures the creation and communication of all Communications policies and procedures
• Ensures that programs and systems are in line with best practice implementation
• Benchmarks with industry standards and ensures a world class Communications policy.
• Responsible for the company-wide design, implementation and management of all communication department programs and services
• Ensure that the company frequently appears in the (International and local) media, relevant to the industry.
• Constantly scan the media platforms on relevant trends and developments and take the necessary actions.
• Be responsible for setting up and maintaining external and internal communications, including newsletters and annual reports etc.
• Ensure adequate reporting to the Chief Executive Officer about the departments’ progress and activities.
• Establish editorial and production calendars, determining the final form of communications material and for resolving complex communications issues.
• Have the ability to translate complex technical language and ideas into a language easily comprehensible to non-specialists both internally and externally.
• From time to time, interview a variety of people, gather and synthesize the information.
• Action the SA Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) procedures to maintain high EHS standards
• Actions the SA EHS safety routines for his/her work area.
• Actions regular inspections to ensure safety. Raise notifications.
• Maintains SA housekeeping standards (5S) in his/her work area.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field plus 10 years of relevant working experience, Master’s Degree in the same
field or Business is preferable
• Have interpersonal skills to facilitate working with a wide range of individuals and groups from culturally diverse publics.
• Have extensive knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of oral and written communications and interpersonal relation skills in order to determine the most effective proposals and presentation materials, persuade Sohar Aluminium personnel to accept suggestions and proposals and to foster effective relationships both internally and externally.
• Knowledge of branding techniques including, but not limited to: Proposal writing; public relations; prospect research;
conference preparation and correspondence to management.
• Professional level skills in proposals and publications development with writing and editing experience.
• Excellent English and Arabic language
• Analytical, good leadership, excellent communication skills and inter personal relations as a whole and a keen interest in
understanding business and operations
• Excellent influencing skills and persuasiveness
• Have excellent communication and organizational skills and be able to achieve the company objectives with the team.
• Driven and ambitious, have a good pen and have broad interest of the international forum.
About the Company
Sohar Aluminium was formed in September 2004 to undertake a landmark Greenfield aluminium smelter project in the Sultanate of Oman and is jointly owned by Oman Oil Company, Abu Dhabi National Energy Company PJSC - TAQA and Rio Tinto.
By implementing decades of industry insight in its design, specification and construction Sohar Aluminium has been created to ensure efficiency, environmental protection and the utmost safety of its workforce. The smelter has an annual production capacity of 375,000 tonnes of high quality Aluminium.
Omanisation, which currently stands at 72% of its workforce, is a driving force within the organisation. The development of its young employees is paramount and with that in mind, Sohar Aluminium has its own internationally recognised training centre which gives each and every employee the opportunity for further learning.