Job description / Role
This role will provide technical and hands-on expertise to support / resolve customers' Motors and Generators problems. The Rotating Machines Field Service Engineer will have a high level of expertise related to the mechanical/Electrical aspects of large electrical motors and generators, be capable of planning and executing jobs for self / site team, have a great customer reputation, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
As the Rotating Machines Field Service Engineer, you will:
- Execute electrical tests in MV AC Electrical Motors and Generators: insulation resistance, winding resistance, voltage drop test, transformation ratio, partial discharge test, hipot & dc leakage test, dissipation factor test;
- Perform tests and inspections in medium and large DC rotating machines: neutral zone adjustments, brush and brush holders tests / adjustments, commutation inspection (surface condition, sparkling conditions, etc.);
- Perform motors and generators start-up / commissioning: static tests, operational tests (temperature elevation, vibrational tests, electrical parameters, etc.)
- Execute assembly / disassembly of electrical components, such as cables, capacitors, rtd's, surge arresters, fan motors, CT's, winding (coil assembly, parts insulation, etc.), etc.
- Execute mechanical inspections in large and medium electrical rotating machines (motors & generators): dimensional control sleeve & roller bearings, air-gap inspections, metrology skills, etc.
- Perform shaft alignments: motor-gear box / load machines, generator-gear box / turbine;
- Execute assembly / disassembly of mechanical components and machine parts, such as rotor, stator, covers, heat exchanger, sleeve bearings, roller bearings, couplings, etc.
- Assure GE's Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) procedures are strictly followed in the job site;
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or related discipline from an accredited college or university;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working with maintenance of large and medium rotating machines;
- Fluent in Arabic and English
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Ability to work independently. Strong problem solving skills;
- Ability and willingness to travel 70% of the time;
- Field service and commissioning experience with rotating machines;
- Experience in solving vibrations issues and balancing execution of high speed rotating machines;
- Ability to execute increasingly complicated assignments that require considerable engineering; skill, creative ability and independent judgment;
- Knowledge, competence and expertise with installation, commissioning tasks and services;
GE (NYSE:GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE's mission and deliver for our customers.
About the Company
GE is a diversified technology, media and financial services company, dedicated to creating products that make life better. From aircraft engines and power generation to financial services, medical imaging, television programming and oil and gas, GE operates in more than 100 countries and employs over 300,000 people worldwide.
GE's Oil & Gas business is a leader in the development and delivery of advanced product and service offerings for the global oil and gas industry. As a consequence of the rapid expansion of its technology base, GE's Oil & Gas is capable of addressing the largest and most complex engineering and application challenges entirely from its own worldwide resources. So whether it's the world's largest LNG compression trains, re-injection of high sulfur gas, enhancing the safety and productivity of the world's oil and gas pipelines, or equipment for the production of oil and gas from harsh environments, GE is leading the charge.