Principal Solar Energy Engineer
Job description / Role
48,000 people. 49 countries. Over 120 office locations.
We're not just engineers. We're a global team of data scientists, consultants, construction workers and innovators all working to create a better tomorrow. Every day, we help customers in energy, chemicals and resources get one step closer to solving our planet's toughest issues. Climate change. The energy transition. Digital transformation. And how we can deliver a more sustainable world.?
Whatever your ambition, there's a path for you here. And there's no barrier to your potential career success.
The Principal Solar Energy Engineer will support the delivery of consultancy assignments for large-scale solar projects worldwide.
Using your deep technical knowledge of solar power generation technology, you will contribute in close cooperation with other disciplines and project managers, to the development of feasibility and conceptual studies, preliminary design & cost estimate studies, technological support to PV detail design projects technical Due Diligences and the provision of technical advisory services in accordance with the project requirements and any applicable statutory and regulatory specification.
- Execution of the following technical activities:
- Yield Assessments of Solar Plants.
- Definition of Basis of Design and Electrical Systems specifications for solar plants.
- Definition of the Solar Plant layout.
- Equipment specifications and selection (e.g. transformers, inverters, PV modules and supporting structure).
- Cables calculations and generation of Bills of Quantities (BOQs).
- HV substation configuration and protection systems coordination.
- Revision of the Detailed Design of a PV plant to ensure that the engineering developed by the EPC contractor meets the project requirements and any applicable statutory and regulatory specification.
- Provision of technical inputs and support the Study Managers in the delivery of consultancy services, such as Feasibility and Conceptual Studies, Financial Models, Cost Estimates, Market Studies and Due Diligences.
- Support the development of PV detail engineering design and PV EPCM projects.
- Deliver and/or review technical inputs and engineering documents timely and with the adequate quality.
- Support the Project Manager with the preparation of progress reports.
- Support the Project Manager in technical conversations with the Client and the EPC contractor technical representatives.
- Support the Project Manager in the review and response to Technical Deviation Proposals, Change Orders and Requests for Information submitted by the Client and the EPC Contactor.
- Regular reporting to the project management on the status of the engineering activities.
- Ensure compliance with Worley's standards and procedures, and that the right systems are in place and applied to the project. Support the development, preparation, implementation and follow-up of various plans (e.g. schedule, quality, execution, project and interface management) throughout the project during different stages and with all components.
- Engineering Degree required. Master of Science preferred.
- Fluent English (written and spoken) other languages skills are a plus.
- Ability to report in English, both verbal & in writing
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Power Plants projects development, consulting, engineering, commissioning and construction.
- Minimum 5 years of Power & Renewable Energy technologies experience is required, particularly in the design of large Photovoltaic (PV) projects (from conceptual to detail).
- Technical Advisory experience (e.g. PMC, Owners Engineer, LTA, etc.) is preferred, but not mandatory.
- International experience is required (multinational companies or across different countries and professional cultures). Middle East / Arabian Gulf experience is an asset.
- Deep knowledge of PV technology and the execution of large PV projects and technical PV related consultancy works.
- Good knowledge of PVSyst and CAD. Good knowledge of Pvcase is a plus.
- Good knowledge of Low Voltage (LV) and Medium Voltage (MV) electrical systems, and particularly of IEC standards for electrical design purposes.
- Knowledge of High Voltage (HV) electrical systems is a plus.
- Good knowledge of the following tools is a preferred, but not mandatory: Civil 3D, DigSilent and ETAP.
- Good knowledge of I&C and SCADA requirements for Renewable Energy projects is an asset.
- Good knowledge of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) is an asset.
- Technical / hands-on profile with good communication capabilities are a key requirements for this role.
- Responsible and honest.
- Must be a self-starter, with the ability to take responsibility for its own work, open to creativity.
- Good communication skills and an aptitude for taking initiatives are essential, as is the ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Collaborative, Team Builder and Leadership. Able to create a pleasant work environment.
- Pro-active and results-driven.
What we offer you
Providing an agile culture and challenging work opportunities results in a positive work environment. Our people enjoy competitive compensation packages and a fun, personal, collaborative and safe working environment. We value equal employment opportunity and are committed to promoting fairness, equality and diversity.
Our policy is to conduct background checks for all candidates who accept an offer of employment with us.
If you have the passion and talent to keep up, it's time to test the limits of what you can become. Find your future with Worley.
About the Company
Worley is a leading global provider of professional services in the energy, chemicals and resources sectors. We partner with our customers to address their most critical challenges at every stage of their projects: from initial concepts to sustaining and enhancing their assets. And we provide smarter, bolder solutions while delivering on our own sustainability commitments.
We are 51,000 bright minds across 46 countries all driven by a common purpose – delivering a more sustainable world. While working to fulfill our ambition to be recognized globally as the leader in sustainability solutions.