Nakilat Agency Company (NAC)
Job description / Role
Job Title: Boarding Agent
Job Summary and Purpose
Represent principals and provide other services to masters and principals as may be required for cost efficient and timely turnaround of their vessels that call at Port of Qatar.
Liaise with Principals:
• Maintain healthy communication and reply to Principals/Masters query.
• Manage day to day operations and keep Principals informed as appropriate.
• Ensure cost efficient and timely turnaround of vessels by coordinating with all parties related to cargo operations, departures and vessels berthing.
• Visit the ship at the time of arrival/departure and such other times as may be required
• Arrange for inward and outward clearances of vessel by getting all arrival and departure formalities completed with customs and immigration.
• Ensure that all supplies, crew change and other services as may be requested by Master are arranged in a timely manner.
Management of Funds:
• Ensure funds are received into agency account prior to berthing. Also analyze port/marine/agency charges and ensure Performa Disbursement Account is sent to the clients in a timely manner.
• Disburse Final Distribution Account to principals on receipt of invoices and departure of vessels.
• Ensure all documentation is prepared prior to arrival and at time of departure in a timely manner.
• Ensure that details of vessel arrival/departure and expenses incurred are updated in relevant systems.
Scheduling and Coordination between parties:
• Coordinate the arrival and launch times with the ship’s schedule, synchronizing vendor request, arrival dates and needs or directions from the pilot or captain.
• Ensure a berth for the incoming ship as well as arrange for the pilot and the tugs if necessary.
• Quality, Health, Safety, & Environment (QHSE):
• Adhere to all relevant IMS policies, procedures, instructions and controls so that NAKILAT provides safe, world class, secure and environmentally responsible service to customers, the public and its own people.
Policies, Systems, Processes & Procedures:
• Follow all relevant departmental policies and procedures so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner.
• Create an in/outboard personnel resource required on vessel for scheduled pick-ups or offloads.
• Manage unscheduled port calls arising as a result of an emergency, vessel break down, pollution incident or action of statutory authorities such as customs and immigration.
• Perform such other tasks as may be requested by Principal and Master for timely arrival or sailing of vessel.
• Diploma in Business Studies, Business Administration or in related discipline
• Any course in shipping with be added advantage
• Should hold valid Qatar driving license
• 2 to 5 years of experience in shipping agency operations
Job Specific Skills:
• Good knowledge of safety, commercial and statutory requirements and regulations applicable to ports and vessels.
• Good knowledge of Windows Software and Microsoft office suit. Knowledge of SAP application will be added advantage.
• Fluency in English (speaking, writing, reading). Arabic will be an advantage.
About the Company
Established in 2005, Nakilat Agency Company Ltd. (NAC) is a leading shipping agency and logistics service provider in Qatar, jointly owned by Nakilat and Qatar Petroleum. By virtue our parentage, we have intimate knowledge of the requirements of ship owners and managers, and we strive to provide the two most important things to our clients: quality and timely service delivery.
Operating for over a decade in Qatar, we provide a full range of agency services 24/7 to all types of vessels calling at local ports and terminals, as well as offshore locations in Qatar. These include a full range of shipping agency and related services such as attending to vessel agency requirements, logistics support, customs formalities, husbandry services, bunker coordination, provision of spare and supplies, crew movements, medical assistance as well as providing support to vessels at the Erhama Bin Jaber Al Jalahma Shipyard.
Our unrivalled local knowledge and experience, combined with an excellent working rapport with the local authorities, allows us to greatly value-add to our client's requirements. On average, we handle more than 4,000 vessels annually from our strategic operating bases in the Ports of Ras Laffan and Mesaieed.