Job description / Role
• Develop a contracting strategy and related guidelines for development related contracts for Company.
• Ensure that these guidelines are followed across all levels and departments.
• Ensure that the commercial services strategy is translated into annual operational business plans.
• Monitor the performance during the course of the year.
• Identify and source the most appropriate and competitive consultants / contractors to engage with the Company as a partner to provide the requisite services / solutions.
• Understand consultants’ / contractors’ cost structures and negotiate fairly and transparently to gain best value.
• Develop and maintain robust relationships with the key consultants / contractors to obtain cost effective pricing proposals.
• Ensure all qualified and interested potential consultants / contractors are given the opportunity to quote and compete for providing the relevant services.
• Negotiate and manage the process of development procurement, contracting and costs in order to ensure that purchase and contract requisitions are processed efficiently at competitive terms to meet the end user specifications and requirements and Company’s business objectives.
• Liaise with the Project Execution and Design functions to understand and define the requisite product / service in terms of specification, service and delivery.
• Participate in the commercial evaluation of tenders to select the best overall offer for Company.
• Review and approve contractual clauses to ensure compliance to regulations, and the adoption of applicable condition of contracts to protect Company interests.
• Define and negotiate terms and conditions of contract, in liaison with Legal and Finance functions with focus on leading practices.
• Provide contractual support to the project management team in managing projects to ensure protection of Company interests and rights during the execution of capital projects.
• Ensure that financial provisions of the contract are properly interpreted and applied.
• Monitor performance of all contracts including project management, engineering, procurement and construction to ensure timely, cost efficient and high quality delivery of projects.
• Ensure proper maintenance of templates of contracts, terms and conditions and other supporting documents used by all the departments in their core activities.
• Provide guidance on interpretation and / or implications of contract provisions and advise departments on the company’s contractual responsibilities, as and when required.
• Manage all variations and claims related to the contract with the relevant consultants / contractors, in consultation with the Development Manager.
• Assess the contractual & legal risks in the core operations of the company as well as provide recommendations to mitigate the potential risks identified.
• Supervise the implementation of recommendations to mitigate identified risks to ensure that such risks are managed in a controlled environment.
• Keep track of project expenditures during all phases and report any deviations in a timely manner.
• Develop and own a contract compliance tracker and ensure timely updates to the tracker.
• Ensure the services delivered are for the purpose intended and are complete in all respects.
• Provide support to the project management team to address the request for information (RFI) related to any contract terms and clauses.
• Review the claims from the consultants / contractors and gather necessary information to contest the claim.
• Ensure all decisions related to procurement are supported by auditable evidence.
• Liaise with the Internal Auditors to monitor compliance with the contractual policies and procedures.
• Oversee research activities to ensure relevant and up to date information is available for providing guidance on contracts and agreements.
• Perform any other ad-hoc duties relevant to the role as per the business requirements.
• Bachelor’s Degree in quantity surveying, supply chain management, civil engineering or any related discipline is required.
• Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or any related discipline will be preferred.
• Additional Certification in contract management will be an added advantage.
• Minimum 10 - 12 years of relevant work experience with at least 5 - 6 years of experience in cost and contracts management in the large organization.
Job Specific Skills:
• Strong knowledge of international and regional conditions of contracts, design parameters and applicable codes and regulations as applied to engineering projects.
• Strong knowledge of the tendering and bidding process as defined by statutory regulations.
• Strong experience in project engineering and contract management.
• Strong negotiation skills to get optimum cost advantage while dealing with contractor / consultants
• Ability to create and write contracts and request for proposals for projects works.
• Proficiency in MS Office and technical applications.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Arabic is required.
About the Company
A leading group of companies in Qatar.
Claims / Contracts Manager - Main Contractor
Qatar Project Management (QPM)
Corporate Contracts Manager - Buildings