Job description / Role
We are far more than a worldwide leader. We welcome you as you are and you can find a job and brand that matches your personality. We support you to grow and learn every day, making sure that work brings purpose to your life, so that during your journey with us, you can continue to explore Accor's limitless possibilities.
The Director of Food & Beverage leads the Food & Beverage operation, by establishing its strategic and tactical positioning as a world class operation. The position is responsible for supervising the overall success of the day to day operation, the long term positioning as well as achieving all set KPI's in the areas of revenue/profit, cost and expense management, quality commitment, team morale, recruitment of the best international and local talent as well as ensuring the innovative and creative reputation of the division is upheld.
- Food and Beverage Team.
- Culinary Team.
- Housekeeping Team/Laundry Team.
- Engineering Team.
- Security Team.
- Front Office Team.
- Butler Team.
- Talent and Culture Team.
- Sales and Marketing Team.
- Marketing Communications Team.
- Revenue and Distribution.
- Group Purchasing.
- Hygiene Officer.
- Safety Officer.
- EXCO and DH.
- Local Guests.
- In House Guests.
- City Guests.
- Event Organisers.
- Suppliers and Vendors.
- Corporate Office.
- Owners F&B Representative.
- Government Officials.
OVERSEEING DAILY OPERATIONS AND ACHIEVING TARGETS
- Sets and clearly communicates the strategic direction for the Food & Beverage department in coordination with General Manager, Hotel Manager - F&B and Executive Chef.
- Clearly describes and assigns responsibility and authority for the operation of the various food and beverage outlets.
- Consistently improves the financial profitability, productivity and efficiency of the food and beverage department.
- Prepares and monitors annual budget revenue goals and expenses for the Food and Beverage department and makes recommendations for adjustments if needed.
- Reviews and analyses various financial results/reports to monitor overall Food and Beverage performance and takes any corrective actions that may be needed.
- Monitors international and local market conditions/trends that impact menu offerings, business volume, and profitability.
- Executes inventory control and calculation for monthly analysis and reconciliation.
- With the Executive Chef identifies opportunities to control food cost and other expenses.
- Works closely with the Finance Department on policies, procedures, compliance and the monthly inventory processes.
- Ensures that quality of service provided in all Food & Beverage Outlets is maintained to the highest level.
- Walks all Food & Beverage front and back of the house areas on daily basis. Notes any shortcomings and takes appropriate action immediately.
- Ensures consistency of quality, taste, presentation, temperature of beverage served in all Food & Beverage Outlets.
- Ensures maximum creativity and consistency in all Food & Beverage presentations.
- Ensures application of procedure and regulation to colleagues concerning hygiene (HACCP or Food Safety) / Fire Safety / emergency procedures.
- Reviews daily financial reports.
- Shares information from Executive Committee with Food & Beverage team.
- Conducts daily Food & Beverage Briefing, monthly Food & Beverage Meeting and other scheduled meetings for Food & Beverage department.
- Attends Department Head Morning Operations Briefing, Executive Committee Meeting, Business Review Meeting (P&L) and other scheduled meetings.
- Maintains proper and adequate control over purchase orders and requisitions.
- Reviews Food & Beverage Cost and ensures it is in line with budget and forecast.
- Converses with guests in restaurants and bars to solicit comments and establish a loyal following and repeat business from the local market.
- Controls casual labor & overtime requisitions submitted by Managers.
MARKETING PLAN AND REVENUE MANAGEMENT
- Partners with Sales & Marketing to increase exposure and coverage of the Food & Beverage outlets in various local and international media.
- Accurately forecasts financial performance.
- Constantly reviews and control operational cost without impacting product or service quality and guest experience.
- Works closely with Finance regularly in reviewing financial performance and taking corrective action as and when required.
- Establishes budget / forecast / CAPEX in a timely manner.
- Reviews monthly P&L, writes GM Commentary and performance justification to ownership in a timely manner.
- Plans business strategy and reviews ongoing action plan progress.
- Establishes annual promotional calendar and menu plan with Executive Chef / Hotel Manager / General Manager.
- Reviews all Food & Beverage Outlets operation concepts and makes recommendation for changes as and when needed.
- Obtains maximum publicity to maintain a high profile for the Food & Beverage department.
- Works closely with Marketing Communication on promotional strategies for the Food & Beverage department.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, training, planning, assigning, and directing work, evaluating performance, rewarding, and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems in the best interest of the hotel as well as in a timely manner.
Management and Leadership
- Is a mentor and role model.
- Proactive, innovative with in depth Food & Beverage and market knowledge.
- Executes hands-on leadership by actively engaging in colleague support and guest service during all major meal periods.
- Leads and supports the team to be consistent in service standards via collaborative and enabling leadership style. Provides regular team meetings, training and arranges examinations for all colleagues to achieve higher standards and skills.
- Drives the team to achieve established goals and builds strong team work.
- Uses the performance review process to identify and develop talent, and manages performance issues via coaching effectively and in a timely manner.
- Displays cultural affinity and shows empathy to all team members in a transparent and fair manner.
- Coaches and trains managers to prepare them to move to the next level within 12 - 24 months.
- Reviews the work performance of all colleagues to make sure established procedures and policies are being followed.
- Enforces and upholds highest standards of discipline, fairness, ethical values and knowledge of the contents in disciplinary actions. Actively enforces colleague motivation and team building.
- Observes colleague's individual performance, grooming and punctuality.
- Regularly solicits feedback from Managers on performance of individual colleagues and/or personally observes colleagues' performance.
- Performs colleague appraisals and executes disciplinary actions if required.
- Provides a level of Safety and Security for guests and colleagues.
- Leads Food & Beverage recruitment.
- Ensures that grooming and hygiene practices of colleagues are in line with Raffles Hotel Singapore and National Environmental Agency standards.
TRAINING, LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE TEAM
- Streamlines all training requirements and ensures that managers properly co-ordinate all arrangements for proper execution of instructions.
- Ensures that colleagues are aware of hotel rules and regulations.
- Ensures that colleagues are trained on fire and safety, emergency procedures and hygiene.
- Follows and monitors departmental training plan and calendar.
- Works closely with F&B Departmental Trainer to retain, develop and motivate team members.
- Develops own knowledge and skills to grow as business partner and leader.
- Ensures confidentiality of all matter.
- Interacts with individuals outside the hotel including, but not limited to, clients, suppliers, government officials, competitors and other members of the local community. Meets regularly with key suppliers to ensure maximum service.
- Provides honest, transparent, fair and timely feedback to the Hotel Manager / General Manager.
- Adheres to the highest ethical values.
- Establishes productive, professional and collegial relationships with all other Exco and DH.
- Uses a Heartist® approach - makes the guests and colleagues Feel Welcome, Feel Heart-warmed, Feel Incredible, and Belong.
- Ensures service standards and individual performances is aligned with Accor Values - Guest Passion, Trust, Sustainable Performance, Spirit of Conquest, Innovation and Respect.
- Contributes to the hotel's Corporate Social Responsibility efforts by supporting the Planet 21 program.
Main Complexity/Critical issues in the Job
- Establishes and clearly communicates the strategic direction of the food & beverage department.
- Clearly describing, assigning and delegating responsibility and authority for the operation of the various food and beverage outlets.
- Consistently improving the financial profitability of the food and beverage department
- Management of guest experiences and feedbacks.
- Management of colleague issues, coaching for success and coaching for disciplinary.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Food & Beverage/Hospitality Management or extensive hands on experience in similar restaurant concept.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in the international deluxe hotel or free-standing restaurant and bar environment.
- Prior work experience in Middle East preferred.
- Accustomed to and comfortable with media exposure.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Oral and written fluency in English and an additional language.
- Involvement in reservations and understanding of Revenue Management processes.
- Thrives in large scale operation and high volume operation.
- Enjoys working in multi-cultural environment.
- Pre-opening experience preferred.
- Extrovert, sociable, and avid representing Food & Beverage and the Fairmont brand.
- Team player with outstanding interpersonal skills with ability to communicate with all levels of stakeholders.
- Service oriented with an eye for details, passion and innovative for Food & Beverage.
- Ability to work effectively and contribute in a team across divisional borders.
- Good presentation and influencing skills.
- Able to work and thrive within a culturally diverse environment.
- Flexible and able to embrace and respond to change effectively.
- Ability to work independently and has good initiative in dynamic environment.
- Self-motivated and energetic, able to set priorities.
- Flexible and adaptable to different working locations.
- Inspiring and people person.
- Commitment to professional values - brand conscious.
- Visionary - able to lead the team to continuous improvement.
- Innovates and sets trends.
- Demonstrates sophistication, humbleness, personality, charisma, confidence, professional etiquette and pride.
- Builds strong rapport and coordinated approached with Executive Chef.
About the Company
A caring employer providing respect, training and career development for our employees. An attractive employer offering more than 100 professions across the 5 continents.
We are much more than a world leader. We are 250,000 hoteliers with the same shared passion for welcoming. We take care of millions of guests in our 4,300 addresses and on our digital platforms. As an operator and franchisor (HotelServices), owner and investor (HotelInvest), we invest all our energy into making "Feel Welcome" resonate as the finest hotel promise.
From luxury to economy and in every corner of the globe, AccorHotels' more than 20 brands meet all the needs of business and leisure travelers seeking comfort, attention and high-quality services.