Job description / Role
My client is a prestigious semi-government real estate company, with an impressive portfolio of luxury mixed-use community developments in Qatar and internationally
Their vacancy for a General Counsel is an excellent opportunity for a talented and ambitious lawyer with a background in real estate. Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the main function of the role is to provide timely, accurate and value-enhancing legal advice on all matters related to Development, Project Delivery and Procurement activities across the organization.
Related to these activities, your roles & responsibilities will include:
• Provide professional legal advice, clarifications and legal opinions to the organization on relevant aspects concerning construction projects, adopting a proactive approach to ensure that all legal provisions are adhered to and that the company is protected from adverse legal consequences
• Review the company’s position with regard to local and international laws and regulations governing development, project delivery and procurement activities, monitor changes and advise Sr. Management on their implications in order to ensure full compliance of all activities to laws and regulations
• Draft and negotiate development, project delivery and procurement related contracts,
including all international standard forms
• Draft and negotiate bespoke contracts including traditional, design & build main contracts, appointments, letters of intent, performance bonds & guarantees and collateral warranties
• Supervise and participate in the preparation, checking and review of contracts between outside parties to ensure correctness and accuracy
• Manage the outsourcing of legal work relating to development, project delivery and
• procurement within agreed guidelines to ensure accurate, timely and effective completion of such work
• Inform all concerned parties about essential and statutory provisions and procedures related to the execution of development, project delivery and procurement activities in order to ensure that these are implemented in line with required standards
Your qualifications and experience will include:
• Law degree is required
• LLM or equivalent is preferred
• Minimum of 12-15+ years of legal experience, of which 5+ years in a senior role
• Previous experience in a leading real estate company and departments related to
• development, project delivery and procurement is desirable
• Good communication skills
• Strong negotiation and persuasion skills
• Excellent planning & organizing skills
• Ability to work under pressure
• Honesty and integrity
About the Company
"Stratus was founded in 2005 in order to supply a unique, tailored service to the property, real estate and construction industries."
Our approach is honest and upfront, delivering an efficient and cost effective service which we recognise is critical in the current market place. We differentiate ourselves from our competitors by providing consistent high quality results, adding real value to your organisation and allowing talented professionals in the property and construction fields to develop their potential within progressive environments.
Our open and consultative style has allowed us to successfully develop long standing relationships with clients and candidates alike, within leading consultancy, main contracting and client organisations. In tandem with this we also have an expansive network of contacts at all levels across the industry, and can provide sophisticated market intelligence, both in the UK and EMEA.