Job description / Role
The Grants and Compliance Officer will provide support for the research administration function of the Qatar campus. This position will be a primary point of contact for questions and activities related to grants administration of several grants.
As this position is based in Doha, Qatar and offers no relocation assistance, GU-Q is looking for locally based candidates only. This is a non-sponsored position that requires all applicants to already have the necessary sponsorship to live and work in Qatar.
• Identify external funding opportunities, assess funding opportunity requirements and deadlines;
• Coordinate proposal submission;
• Provide expertise and consultation to principal investigators and departmental representatives on policy guidelines and budgetary, personnel and expenditure control activities;
• Assist faculty and research staff during the post-award phase to ensure adherence to University and sponsor policies;
• Manage the award disbursement process, re-budgeting, no cost extensions, award transfers, sponsor reporting and sub-award recipients;
• Administration of accounts including providing administrative oversight for expenditures through monitoring and reconciling grant expenditures and initiating corrections as required;
• Continuously oversee and monitor fiscal activities and conduct analysis to identify/report on financial status of projects including compliance, forecasting and projected project shortfalls;
• Initiate, review and administer agreements with sponsors;
• Initiate and submit all interim and final financial and technical reporting requirements to awarding agency;
• Ensure faculty are trained on the various phases and process of the grant lifecycle;
• Coordinate activities related to the protection of rights, privacy and welfare of all human participants in research programs conducted by faculty, staff and students at GU-Q and other appropriate institutions;
• Direct and assist faculty members on the Institutional Review Board (IRB) submission process;
• Conduct preliminary review of faculty submissions to the IRB, communicate deficiencies to the investigators, and work with the investigator to ensure all identified issues are addressed adequately prior to review by the IRB Chair;
• Coordinate the IRB meetings; take detailed meeting minutes as required by the regulations and log all activities in the eRIC (IRB online submission system);
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a Business, Accounting, Finance or related field;
• 3+ years’ experience in a university or other non-profit grants and contracts office or in a program management/research capacity;
• Experience with proposal submission, budgets, ledgers, invoices and fiscal reporting requirements;
• Experience of financial grants management;
• Experience working with an Institutional Review Board, or within a research setting involving human subjects;
• Extensive knowledge of program administration guidelines of sponsors supporting research and educational activities, preferably in a university environment;
• Knowledge of grant management processes including electronic research administration systems such as grants.gov or NSF FastLane;
• Proficiency with MS Office;
• Experience of using GMS Financial and eRIC (Electronic Research and Information Compliance) is desirable;
• Ability to interpret and apply sponsor, institutional policies;
• Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail;
• Ability to work independently and prioritize workload and deadlines;
• Fluency in English language.
About the Company
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) is located on the Education City campus in Doha, Qatar and offers a variety of lifelong learning opportunities for the community. The four-year Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service (BSFS) degree program is delivered by the world renowned Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service with a curriculum that is identical to that offered to students in Washington, D. C. Each year, GU-Q admits a class of approximately 75 students, primarily from the Middle East, South Asia and Southeast Asia. GU-Q is sponsored by Qatar Foundation and is one of six American universities located within Education City. All students have access to a superb range of recreational and housing facilities offered by Qatar Foundation and they take classes in classrooms equipped with state of the art technology. The campus currently boasts the presence of the largest public access library in Qatar. The compensation, benefits, terms of employment and professional development opportunities for GU-Q faculty and staff are highly competitive.