Job description / Role
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood has an opportunity for a Project Engineering Manager to join our team in Qatar on a permanent basis. The Project Engineering Manager will be responsible for the execution of the engineering portion of a multi-discipline engineering scope of work on one or more projects / work scopes. Has responsibility for coordinating and completing the various engineering, and start-up aspects of a project(s) while meeting HSSE, quality, schedule, and budget performance goals. Has responsibility for the technical excellence of the engineering portion of a project(s) across all disciplines.
Contributes to delivery of engineering excellence through:
- Driving technical assurance on the assigned scope(s) of work
- Managing and leading, supporting and supervising the discipline engineering teams on the assigned scope(s) of work.
- Management of key stakeholders in the execution and delivery of contracted activities.
- Developing and retaining motivated and competent people.
- Undertaking the role of process owner.
- Driving safety by design
- Driving and leading on opportunities for innovation
May participate directly in the design, development and inspection of technical projects or in the engineering work of the department.
The Project Engineering Manager leads by example, consistently displaying and enforcing the Company's values and behaviours, and commitment to the highest standards of safe and ethical behaviour, to ensure safe and reliable operations and client satisfaction
Driving technical assurance.
- Continuous promotion of corporate / client specific procedures.
- Assist in incident investigations as required.
- Monitors compliance with standards and processes to assure delivery.
- Roll out and Implementation of learning opportunities from across the business.
- Driving continual focus on process safety through the engineering team
- Driving elimination of technical incidents through robust controls, incident reviews and embedding lessons learned
- Identifies and mitigates areas of risk and improvement opportunities
- Identifies and pursues improvement opportunities
- Managing and leading, supporting and supervising the multidiscipline engineering team
Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities and operations of a multidiscipline engineering team
- Assist in the management of recruitment, selection, transfers, performance management, succession planning and promotion of resources to meet engineering team requirements
- Ensuring appropriately resourced and competent personnel on Project/Contract
- Oversight and control of Engineering Histogram to support workforce planning
- Assist in setting & maintaining standards for the development and retention of motivated and competent people
Management of key stakeholders in the execution and delivery of contracted activities.
- Responsible for the engineering content of project execution plans for assigned contracts/projects
- Responsible for the direction and management of the engineering and associated project activities of the business grouping/Project
- Manage and direct resources efficiently and effectively.
- Consult and negotiate with clients to prepare specifications, explain proposals and present engineering reports and findings
- Assign, co-ordinate and review the technical work of the department or project teams
- Focuses on managerial concerns of the project such as cost, completion date, and resource allocation. Provides expert resolution of issues and monitors integration of work.
- Reviews technical concepts of major projects.
- Personally participates in solving difficult technical problems.
- Resolves conflicts that are complex and manages divergent audience
- Responsible for facilitating agreement between conflicting parties
- Resolves issues which are non-recurring and occasionally novel
- Carries responsibility for resolution of major problems for the engineering segment
- Assist in identifying and requesting functional support to projects / contracts as required
- Accountable for the efficient planning and management of engineering resouces, identifying ad pursuing opportunities for margin improvement, including HVEC utilisation.
Undertaking the role of process owner
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department
- Directs the application of existing principles and the development of new polices and strategies aligned with OU, BU and Corporate objectives
- Conduit for regulatory framework, legislation changes, initiatives and industry technology developments.
Skills / Qualifications
- University degree or Masters in an engineering discipline
- Chartered Engineer / Registered Professional Engineer is mandatory
Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Minimum 15 years experience in discipline engineering
- Minimum 5 years experience with Wood or legacy Wood companies
- Experience in EPCM contract will be advantageous
- Balance of techical and management experience at relevant level and position.
- Typically requires several years of supervisory experience with an understanding of human relations, training, performance evaluation and health and safety - Broad and extensive knowledge of engineering theories and techniques and a high level of skill in application of this knowledge in the management of the engineering function
- Capable of representing business and client to business associates in a professional manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, capable of influencing people at all levels of the organization.
- Skilled in forecast planning for people resources.
- Skilled in recruitment and selection, employee communication and management including performance management.
- Able to implement and embed standards and processes to effect delivery of engineering excellence.
- Good knowledge of regulatory framework and associated legislation.
- Current knowledge of industry and technology development within area of expertise.
- Expert in Engineering excellence.
- Able to carry out audit and incident investigations Good Project management skills.
- Skilled in mediation and dispute resolution
- Financial and commercial awareness.
- Role models company values, behaviours and ethics, and promotes same in others
- Significant persuasion and influencing skills
- Awareness, respect and the ability to reconcile cultural diversity
- Pursues continuous development and progression of own skills and knowledge
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
About the Company
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people.