Job description / Role
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) is looking for a Research Analyst for its Center for International and Regional Studies (CIRS). The position will assist in developing the Center's inter-disciplinary research agenda, focused on the politics, economics, society, and culture of The Persian Gulf and the Middle East. This includes writing, reviewing, and editing various materials for publication.
As this position is based in Doha, Qatar and offers no relocation assistance, GU-Q is looking only for locally-based candidates who have a valid Qatar residence permit.
• Supports the Director and Associate Director in carrying out research for the Center and identifies critical gaps in the scholarship where CIRS can engage in new research.
• Undertakes regular, critical, and systematic literature reviews of primary sources/articles/journals/books on The Persian Gulf and Middle East, and provides written and oral summaries to the Associate Director as needed.
• Compiles, evaluates, and analyses data from a variety of sources for different research assignments. Generates background research output for the Center’s projects.
• Assists in the organization of and actively participates in CIRS research meetings and Working Groups. Prepares detailed notes of meetings and provides these to the Associate Director promptly; prepares material for website in relation to Working Groups and CIRS projects.
• Maintains CIRS research presence online, by regularly providing updates to CIRS website.
• Supports the CIRS Undergraduate Research Advancement (CURA) programme through organizing student seminars and assisting in student research workshops.
• Assists in preparation of reports for Steering Committee meetings and Advisory Board meetings.
• Performs any other duties associated with the CIRS research projects.
• Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Politics, or related social-science disciplines; Master’s degree preferred.
• 2 to 3 years previous experience in professional setting, preferably academic institution.
• Close familiarity with culture of academia and research institutions.
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
• Knowledge of computer programs necessary to manage academic databases, perform analysis, create graphs/spread-sheets, and support website research output.
About the Company
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) is located on the Education City campus in Doha, Qatar and offers a variety of lifelong learning opportunities for the community. The four-year Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service (BSFS) degree program is delivered by the world renowned Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service with a curriculum that is identical to that offered to students in Washington, D. C. Each year, GU-Q admits a class of approximately 75 students, primarily from the Middle East, South Asia and Southeast Asia. GU-Q is sponsored by Qatar Foundation and is one of six American universities located within Education City. All students have access to a superb range of recreational and housing facilities offered by Qatar Foundation and they take classes in classrooms equipped with state of the art technology. The campus currently boasts the presence of the largest public access library in Qatar. The compensation, benefits, terms of employment and professional development opportunities for GU-Q faculty and staff are highly competitive.