Senior Chartering Officer
Qatar Gas Transport Company (Nakilat)
Job description / Role
• Ensure proper implementation and follow up on utilization plans of fleet by executing the chartering activities.
• Analyze market outlook and assist in identifying possible business opportunities and possible chartering processes enhancements.
• Assist in capturing suitable chartering opportunities and maximizing the utilization of the vessels under the in-house Commercial management of Nakilat.
• Build and maintain relationships with brokers, ship-owners, ship agents, shippers, receivers, charterers and port agencies worldwide.
• Schedule visits to load/discharge terminals to gauge ground level situation and maintain relationship with ship’s command.
• Work closely with the commercial & analysis team to review business/chartering opportunity assumptions.
Legal and Insurance:
• Review terms of Charter Party with Legal and Insurance functions and ensure that company’s interests are protected by ensuring necessary insurance coverage is in place, proper defense is arranged through vessels’ P&I Club and finally seek reimbursement of relevant expenses from charterers as per charter party clauses.
• Negotiate TCP claims, seek legal advice and provide recommendation to Head of Chartering.
• Maintain close dialogue with market players, brokers, and potential customers.
• Keep scouting around for chartering opportunities to maximize fleet utilization.
• Assist in gathering market updates, competition update, trade outlook and any other information required to build a proposal/recommendation package for management.
• Assist in evaluating different chartering opportunities by analyzing voyage calculations/economics and provide different scenarios to Head of Chartering.
• Ensure negotiation of charter party terms as per company’s policy and procedures.
• Coordinate TCP review process with internal stakeholders.
• Ensure vessels’ information (e.g., Q88, Form C, list of Primary terminals), to be used in marketing the vessels for business, is always kept up-to-date.
• Coordinate with Charterers for issuing voyage instructions as may be necessary.
• Provide necessary inputs to the voyage estimation process in accordance with the company guidelines and prepare budgets and cost estimation for LPG, Bulk and Product vessels.
• Prepare and review cost analysis, freight, dead freight, heating and other invoices related to voyage, including post-voyage claims, as well as track receipt of payments.
• Review the tender strategy with Head of Chartering and spearhead the collection and timely submission of necessary tender documents and information.
• Ensure compliance with proper procedures regarding Bills of Lading and Letters of Indemnity.
• Use all possible means for voyage planning including the use of software tools to monitor and coordinate all activities related to voyage.
• Also, analyze variance between the voyage plans versus the actual plan, while generating report for the Head of Chartering.
• Coordinate periodical meetings with vessels’ technical manager to address any technical/operational issues which could have a commercial impact as well as address any customers’ concerns.
• Coordinate timely between Charterers and vessels’ technical manager to conduct any Owners’ related matters (e.g., SIRE, Crew change, spares delivery, lube oil supply) with minimum deviation and minimum (target zero) off-hire.
• Monitor performance of vessels versus the charter party requirements and request demurrage and off hire claim, as necessary.
• Monitor vessels’ performance in line with TCP warranties and generate a monthly summary report highlighting any areas of under/over performance.
• Further, follow up immediately with vessels’ technical manager to address any underperformance observations or concerns.
Quality, Health, Safety, & Environment (QHSE):
• Adhere to all relevant QHSE policies, procedures, instructions, and controls so that NAKILAT provides a safe, world class, secure and environmentally responsible service to customers, the public and its own people.
Policies, Systems, Processes & Procedures:
• Implement approved policies, processes, and procedures, and provide instructions to subordinates to ensure their proper implementation.
• Support post fixture operators by ensuring compliance with charter party terms.
• Solicit customers’ feedback and ensure a timely follow up on Customers’ concerns raised either in general or in the bi-annual Customer Feedback Form.
• Update the division’s relevant P&Ps as deemed appropriate to cope with evolving business needs.
• Provide relevant documents and information to successfully address any audit (internal and/or external) requirements.
• Support in collecting data to prepare relevant JV board packages.
• Maintain updated records of the chartering coverage/utilization of the Maran Nakilat JV fleet.
• Recommend actions to resolve performance issues and continuously work towards the performance and efficiency of the fleet of ships.
• Ensure that proper procedures are followed with regards to Letters of Indemnity and Bills of Lading.
• Stay up to date with regards to knowledge of all the company regulations, international and national statutory requirements.
• The Chartering Officer should also be aware of the most recent developments in the Maritime industry.
• His/her knowledge base shall include SOLAS, MARPOL, ISM, ISPS, SOPEP and the company quality systems.
• Carry out any other duties as directed by the immediate supervisor.
• Degree in Business/Economics/Technical of Marine Engineering or any other relevant field.
• Diploma in ship management and operations (ICS preferred).
• Diploma in ship chartering (ICS preferred).
• Legal qualifications will be an added advantage.
• Financial analysis qualification will be added advantage.
• Project management skills will be added advantage.
• A minimum of 6 years of relevant experience as a charterer, shipping and commercial operator in a ship-owning company, chartering desk, trading desk, International Oil & Gas Company, or brokerage house.
• Ideally most recent position should involve Chartering activity and commercial operations of vessels preferably LNGCs, VLGCs or tankers.
About the Company
Qatar Gas Transport Company Ltd. (known as Nakilat, which means carriers in Arabic) is a Qatari-listed shipping company established by the State of Qatar to own, operate and manage LNG vessels and to provide shipping and marine-related services to a range of participants within the Qatari hydrocarbon sector. Nakilat is an integral component of the supply chain of some of the largest, most advanced energy projects in the world undertaken by Qatar Petroleum, Qatargas, RasGas and their joint venture partners for the State of Qatar.
Nakilat was established in 2004 and is a joint stock company owned 50% by its founding shareholders and 50% by the public. Nakilat owns 54 LNG vessels, making it the largest LNG ship owner in the world. Our fleet of vessels transport LNG produced from Qatars North Field, the worlds largest non-associated gas field with approximately 15% of the worlds total proven reserves to global markets. These vessels, ordered from Korean shipyards, incorporate the latest technology for safe, reliable and cost-effective transportation of LNG.